Latency with MIDI Gear

velanche

Hey Folks:

Something has been bugging me for a minute.

I have a UAD Apollo Twin X Duo audio interface, an M1 Max MacBook Pro w/64GB of memory, a Launchpad Pro MK3, and a Kontrol S88 MK3 controller. My issue is that whenever I want to record a virtual instrument, there is always a bit of latency from the time I press a pad or play a key. It's not terrible, but I often have to fix this note or that note after the recording. 

I currently have the sample rate at 64, so not sure if there's more I can do that I'm unaware of, or if this is something that I have to live with and adjust. Again, it's not terrible, but just would like to be sure that I'm doing all I can to reduce latency so that my hitting a key or that pad will get as close to real-time response as can be.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Bypass the UAD and just test using the internal Mac audio hardware.
If you notice a difference, then it would point to the UAD driver / a default processor on the UAD out channels.

You might be best served monitoring through UAD Console, which should have near zero latency.

Thanks for chiming in, guys!!

After watching a quick video on using Logic Pro with UAD's Console (something I've yet to do), there was a section that mentioned about Logic's buffer processing size....I believe that's the terminology. Anyway, it was on Medium. I changed it to Small, and that made a bit of a difference. Not zero latency of course, but it's an improvement. 

Meanwhile, at some point I'll need to look deeper into UAD's Console and Unison. I haven't the need to use them yet, and if I understand how it works with Logic, I think I can only use UAD plugins. I do not know, which is why it's something to explore another day.