Surround encoding 'live' or hardware solutions for iMac 27" 2015

yarns

Heya searching for this I found nothing recent so this might be solvable these days

I have my AV receiver connected through the 3.5mm headphone jack on my iMac with a TOSLINK cable. This works fine with DTS/Dolby Surround(pre Atmos) encodings (movies) but obviously discrete multi channel isn't supported over optical. it has multi-channel (6||8) RCA jack inputs but HDMI wasn't a thing yet when they made these (Yamaha RX-V750)

Is there a way to encode the output in logic so I can playback (even with latency) to the surround receiver?

also, the only solution i can think of is external hardware, looking at the sound blaster x3 or x4 interface as it's the only one i can find that's mac supported usb 2/3 with 5.1(6) channel discrete audio outputs. I think I'll go for this solution but they have too much content pushing their DSP and onboard features that I'm doubting its ability to deliver low latency with everything disabled. If i'm gonna buy something, I want low latency so I can play live.

I think I'm limited to Thunderbolt 1/2 or USB 2/3 connections and the headphone optical output with TOSLINK

I have a PreSonus AudioBOX 96 and a Scarlett Focusrite 8i6 (I think thats the model) which will give me 6 channels out so I'm gonna try an aggregate output and see if I have enough adapters and cables to connect to the AV receiver. If anyone could shout out any problems I'll run into would be appreciated cuz I'm about to pull everything out of mu cupboards lookin for cables hahaah

OR maybe some low latency multi channel HDMI to 6 output jack mechannism gizmo gadget?

On 3/22/2024 at 12:47 PM, oscwilde said:

no it doesn't encode them but should be able to monitor playback from discrete channels.

I didn't have enough 1/4" TS to RCA cables or adapters so I'm gonna have to buy some before I can try it out

• Like 1