Bounce downs not a faithful replication of the project

Neil Gilmartin
Go to solution Solved by Neil Gilmartin,

Hello everyone.

I just bounced down several mixes and, while most are fine, two of them have introduced a strange phasing-like quality to the drums, particularly the snare drums and hi-hats. I wonder if this is a familiar issue to anyone? It's not a case of me listening in a mono environment to a stereo bounce: I'm listening to the bounce in stereo and it was bounced down in stereo. (A secondary issue is that there is an odd mild dropping away of volume on a section of one track before it gradually rises back up, and I don't think (?) it's the work of a compressor... Again, not sure what might have happened there). The songs were recorded in 44.1KHz and are being bounced at 44.1KHz. Not sure what else to say that might be relevant. 

More generally, the mixes are processing-heavy, so perhaps I should bounce as many tracks in place as possible with the processing to first reduce the CPU load before doing the final bounce? 

Thanks for any past experience that other members have to call upon here 🙂

12 hours ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

More generally, the mixes are processing-heavy, so perhaps I should bounce as many tracks in place as possible with the processing to first reduce the CPU load before doing the final bounce? 

It’s not something I do based on concerns of CPU power, but there have been times where I did this with Freezing as a troubleshooting method and it helped me find the real issue pretty well.

In my case it led me to a Dual Mono instance of Slate MetaTune. That revealed the bug where the first bounce of Dual Mono plugins doesn’t properly account for latency if you haven’t opened the plugin GUI so far in that session.

Edited by sunbrother
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

reduce the CPU load before doing the final bounce

If you do an offline bounce, CPU load is not an issue

1 hour ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

Logic Drummer

Does the "phasing" affect all snare/hi-hat hits, or only some?

Oh sorry. I just realized that I unwittingly gave you misleading information, Polanoid. While I did use Logic Drummer (Producer Kit), I completely forgot to add that I bounced down all individual track files to audio before starting mixing, so yes, I'm actually dealing with audio files. 

The phasing-ish sound is consistent on one mix-down but disappears on another after about 20 seconds in. I think the bounce down might have got corrupted, somehow - perhaps from some other activity going on on my laptop at the same time? I'm just engaging in pure speculation here 😂 

1 hour ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

perhaps from some other activity going on on my laptop at the same time?

It’s usually not stuff like that.

are you automating any bypasses? This latency doesn’t (always?) get re-compensated during bounces so it could cause phasing for part of a song I suppose.

are you using Flex Time at all? This can be problematic with drum multitracks sometimes.

Edited by sunbrother

Posted (edited)

Wonshu, this is a very good question! It wouldn't be the first time I was caught out by this, especially after hiding the original MIDI drums and forgetting to turn off the DKD plug-in 😂

sunbrother, yes I am automating some bypasses. I've now changed the way I'm doing this. Originally, I was bypassing using the 'Main' option, but I'm now bypassing by going directly to the plug-in automation parameters directly and selecting the internal bypass. I'll bounce down another file later (using David's live approach) and see what the end result is this time. 

I'm not using Flex Time, no. One of the benefits of MIDI drummers - fantastic timing and always available for a session - and they never complain. 

What a great forum we Logic Pro users have! Thanks for your input, everyone. 

Edited by Neil Gilmartin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

Wonshu, this is a very good question! It wouldn't be the first time I was caught out by this, especially after hiding the original MIDI drums and forgetting to turn off the DKD plug-in 😂

Yes indeed that's the first thing to double check and it would explain the phasing you're hearing. 

11 hours ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

sunbrother, yes I am automating some bypasses. I've now changed the way I'm doing this. Originally, I was bypassing using the 'Main' option, but I'm now bypassing by going directly to the plug-in automation parameters directly and selecting the internal bypass.

Automating the internal bypass parameters is a much better choice. My money's on this or leaving the original drums on.

11 hours ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

sunbrother, yes I am automating some bypasses. I've now changed the way I'm doing this. Originally, I was bypassing using the 'Main' option, but I'm now bypassing by going directly to the plug-in automation parameters directly and selecting the internal bypass. I'll bounce down another file later (using David's live approach) and see what the end result is this time. 

I'm not using Flex Time, no. One of the benefits of MIDI drummers - fantastic timing and always available for a session - and they never complain. 

What a great forum we Logic Pro users have! Thanks for your input, everyone. 

I assume automating the bypass of plug-ins saves cpu? But when I do this, I get audible clicks during playback when automating the bypass and it's also rarely accurate when cpu gets high.  This leads me to just automating the mix parameter and just leaving the plug-in on the whole time.  I do experience the same issues you speak of with bouncing (and even playback) not being accurate, but all of these issues only happen when cpu gets weird.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, wonshu, you're probably right. I mean, when I'm at the production phase, I do use bounce-in-place all the time to bake in sounds that I know I want to keep, but with mixing, I hadn't thought I'd be needing it. But now I think I probably do. It's likely the use of these new-fangled AI plug-ins...

SoSpiro, my CPU is getting weird consistently - always telling me to go away at the same point in certain songs. Perhaps I need to go back to using Logic stock plug-ins more. I've got FabFilter in the mix, a large dose of SoundToys, some Izotope, a generous serving of NI vintage compressors, a dash of Gulfoss, even a cheeky sprinkling of Valhalla - it's a 3rd-party party. (And some Logic, of course, because the stock plug-ins are pretty awesome, too). Yeah, the CPU is not very happy - and it's not like it's not powerful. Also, SoSpiro, I only get audible clicks when I use the Logic 'bypass' under 'Main' in the automation menu, but not when I instead go to the  plug-in controls and bypass there (assuming the plug-in has this option. If not, I instead use the Mix dial and set it to 0% - a tip I got from another user on this forum). 

David, I didn't make it clear in my initial response to wonshu that hidden MIDI Drummer playing simultaneously is not the problem. I bounced the track offline again and the phasing / thin drum sound is still there. I'll have to investigate further. I've got Logic Drummer on all the bounces, but it's only with one track where, for some reason yet unknown to me, it sounds thin. 

Edited by Neil Gilmartin

43 minutes ago, SoSpiro said:

assume automating the bypass of plug-ins saves cpu? But when I do this, I get audible clicks during playback

That’s a reason to do it sparingly, but the bigger one for me is the latency can’t/won’t be re-compensated so it will go out of sync. I do it with zero latency plugins only, and only when there’s no better way to bypass the effect.

• Like 2

I just got a clean bounce! What did I do differently, I hear nobody ask. Nothing! I think my computer is just in a good mood this evening. It's the only plausible explanation.  

Tell a lie. There was one thing I did differently, and only one: I re-arranged the tracks. This was the only song where I had drums as the last in the sequence, not first, so I rearranged everything. Could this have made a difference? I find it hard to believe...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

I just got a clean bounce! What did I do differently, I hear nobody ask. Nothing! I think my computer is just in a good mood this evening. It's the only plausible explanation.  

Tell a lie. There was one thing I did differently, and only one: I re-arranged the tracks. This was the only song where I had drums as the last in the sequence, not first, so I rearranged everything. Could this have made a difference? I find it hard to believe...

The music gods were trying to make your music as they saw fit...

Edited by SoSpiro

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Hi sunbrother. You're right that I did stop automating the bypasses via the 'Main' option, yes. And this solved the problem of clicks in the audio in the bounce down. But it didn't solve the phasing issue, unfortunately.

I think the phasing issue may simply have been bad luck with the timing of the bounce: the CPU, for whatever reason, was underperforming and that led to artifacts.

Now there was actually one more thing I did: that project has a snare-attack aux channel, and I changed the Logic Enveloper lookahead time from 2ms to 1ms. After bouncing down, the phasing was gone - so I thought perhaps the lookahead time had been the culprit. However, to check this, I did another bounce and reverted the lookahead back to 2ms, and still I had just as clean a bounce, so I don't think that was it. (And, in any case, lookahead settings might account for phasing on the snare, but not the whole kit - and it was the whole kit that sounded unnaturally thin, not just the snare).

The only difference, therefore, was moving the sequencing of channel strips around to conform with all the other projects I'm working on, but this seems very unlikely as the deciding factor. But you never know! Complex software creates all kinds of unforeseen relationships between seemingly unrelated things, so I thought I'd mention it anyway. 

Cheers for all your input on this issue, sunbrother. I appreciate it. And you have persuaded me to no approach 'bypass' on my plug-ins with caution and instead look for alternatives such as 0% on the mix settings. A great tip (a tip of the hat to SoSpiro here, too) 🙂

Edited by Neil Gilmartin