Fading all tracks at once (end of song)

BillyNZ

I'd recommend to insert a gain plug-in in the stereo out channel and automate the gain parameter.

(to actually see the stereo out track in the arrangement view for automation editing, right-click the stereo out channel in the mixer view and make sure you have activated "Show Output Track")

You could also just automate the volume fader of the output channel, but I'd recommend to not automate channel faders in general.

Edited by AXXENTS
content added
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Dan Banan said:

There´s even a predefined fade-curve available from the mix menu, to your liking or not🤔.
Create a region on your Stereo Out track for the length on your fade out and apply.

Yes! That's even easier. I thought I'd seen this before but I couldn't find it again when I replied, so thank you for pointing it out. 😃

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AXXENTS said:

I'd recommend to insert a gain plug-in in the stereo out channel and automate the gain parameter.

The Gain plugin doesn’t even go to -Infinity dB, so automating the channel fader is much more appropriate here. The Gain plugin also doesn’t offer sample accurate automation BTW (although probably irrelevant for a fade-out at song end)

7 hours ago, Tankfield said:

Why?

It's just how I work and my recommendation I guess. 🙂

I avoid using the faders for volume automation because when I change the fader while mixing it would just jump back to the volume automation value. With a separate source for automation (e.g. gain plug-in) I can control the automation independently from the fader. I use the fader just to mix-in the already gain-staged channel. If I end up with a low fader position on a channel I also use a gain-plugin at the end of the signal chain with a negative value to be able to bring back up the fader into high-resolution area (0.1 steps with the fader).

7 hours ago, fisherking said:

i'd go with @AXXENTS suggestion... but only if you'll be mastering the song later.

best to do a song fade in the mastering, where you will then maintain all the volume, eq, etc settings from the mastering thru the fade.

Thank you for the addition and yes, that would be appropriate.

5 hours ago, polanoid said:

The Gain plugin doesn’t even go to -Infinity dB, so automating the channel fader is much more appropriate here. The Gain plugin also doesn’t offer sample accurate automation BTW (although probably irrelevant for a fade-out at song end)

You are right but for me in most cases the "fade out" is already quite quiet, so -96dB was more than enough to drop it under noise floor. 😛 I just use a fade-out when for example a reverb tail is a little bit too long and I want to end the song precisely at a specific time.

If by the way somebody knows a gain plug-in that goes to -Infinity I'd gladly hear about that.

I don't know about sample accuracy but I never encountered a problem so it doesn't seem to be the biggest deal? Snapping the automation to the grid does the job for me. If you could explain why and when this could become a problem I'd appreciate learning something new. 🙂

Edited by AXXENTS
typos