Is PDC fixed in LPX 10.8.1 OR NOT? Have side-chaining problems again. It is very annoying!

Logic_4.8

LPX 10.8.1

Sonoma 14.3.1

Hello,

Can somebody *official*  please tell me if the PDC has been fixed or not?

I have conducted simple testing by way of instantiating Two ‘Xfer Serum’ instruments  & Two Compressors (FabFilters Pro C2), in parallel and side-chained this  to ‘drum machine designer’. (Software Instrument Tracks)

I then  “Bounced in Place” (bip), a simple sine wave.

The bottom sine wave is out by 4 Ticks! (It can be seen in the screenshot below) - that is a substantial amount!

Screenshot2024-03-23at06_01_53.thumb.png.cc76dc9c927ca91e584115e4120a794f.png

You can also see in the other screenshot (Two Pro-C2 Compressors that are side-by-side) that the meter is not synchronised!  The meter on the left is red - and the meter on the right is not visible. (both of these compressors have the exactly the same settings.)

Screenshot2024-03-23at04_38_23.thumb.png.7a0384d120a31ea9b41ac9c357420c7d.png

Why is this a problem?

Who is to blame here - Apple or FabFilter?

Is this ever going to get fixed - do other DAW's have this problem? - please, please, please enlighten me. This is very frustrating!

Edited by Logic_4.8

• Logic_4.8 changed the title to Is PDC fixed in LPX 10.8.1 OR NOT? Have side-chaining problems again. It is very annoying!

Hard to say without seeing your mixer routing and what inserts are located where. After 10.8 I tested it and it was fixed in most of the situations I personally encountered it, but I know from others users there are still some situations where PDC is an issue.

It's interesting that you're getting the issue when Bouncing in Place, because I think Bouncing in Place and Selection Based Processing have their own issues with PDC separate from the bus/track side-chain ones they fixed. 

Who's to blame? Ultimately the DAW developer. The remaining issues may stem from Logic's longstanding way of not compensating the latency for a track feeding the side-chain of a latency inducing plug-in. 

Is it going to get fixed? No idea.

Do other DAWs have this problem? I'm not sure. I know Studio One and Ableton have their own situations where their PDC can behave illogically. I don't ever recall it being an issue in Pro Tools or Cubase.

Edited by sunbrother

LPX: 10.8.1

macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2019 (1TB Internal SSD: 293.71 GB of 950.24 GB used.)

Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

External memory: 1TB Samsung X5

This is my set-up - for the examples I have shown above - just a very, very basic set-up. see below:

Screenshot2024-03-23at16_51_06.thumb.png.55b9b825c525fc764530be475ce3ccee.png

I would then Bounce In Place (bip), (not shown in screenshot), the two side-chained serums (i.e.: FabFilter's Pro C2), that are side chained to Bus 1 (DMD)

All very basic stuff...

Please get back to me... in fact: Could I see other LPX examples of 'Latency', 'PDC', etc. when using similar methods, i.e.: people who use Logic on a regular basis.

I need to verify if *I'm doing something wrong* - or is it the 'DAW', 'Plugin manufacturer', etc.

Posted (edited)

I have side chained One ProC2 to DMD...

The *exact* software instrument track was duplicated.

Then the Two Pro C2 Compressors are placed side-by-side...

Latency is confirmed!  It can be seen that there is Latency - anyone/everyone can see it for theirselves! 👀 See the Two screenshots below:

Screenshot2024-03-23at18_09_40.thumb.png.e1d8d238240508605ec618005d485f2d.png

Screenshot2024-03-23at18_08_42.thumb.png.67abfb624f6c04e41ed45f82a06c4ee6.png

This is in real-time (no bip). The meters on  Pro C2 - should be synchronised exactly - because the Two Compressor settings are *identical*  This process would usually show that the side-chaining is working correctly.  It obviously isn't!

Just what in the "Blue Blazes" is going on here?

Edited by Logic_4.8