External Instrument Problem - Montage M

trstack

Logic 10.8.1, Mac OS 14.4

Sold my Roland RD-2000 and now using a Yamaha Montage M8x. Montage M is correctly setup as Mackie Control Surface using the Montage M Port2 for in/out.

Even when the Montage is in "MIDI Record on DAW" which disables local control and facilitates the Montage M DAW Remote, I still occasionally get MIDI echo as if local is on. When select the "External" instrument on Logic track 1 its shows my old midi controller (RD-2000) as the MIDI destination. When I re-select the Montage M port1, the echo goes away. Where is the RD-2000 coming from? It's not in any controller setup, assignment, not in Audio/MIDI and not in any Logic Environment.

Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 1.43.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 1.43.54 PM.png

Hi @trstack,

14 hours ago, trstack said:

When select the "External" instrument on Logic track 1 its shows my old midi controller (RD-2000) as the MIDI destination. When I re-select the Montage M port1, the echo goes away. Where is the RD-2000 coming from?

When a port name appears within parenthesis and preceded by that exclamation point warning icon it means that the port in question is not available.  The only reason it shows up there it's because that was the chosen port the last time the project was saved. So, that means that's data that is saved with your project file.

To get that unused port to disappear from any instances of the External Instrument plugin you may have in your project(s), you need to select another port and save the project.  

J.

• Like 1

OK...I'm not crazy. Just opened and saved an old blank project with the Montage M configured properly. Saved and closed the project, reopened it and MIDI echo is back. I change the instrument in Track 1 from the Montage to any plug-in instrument, no MIDI echo. Change the instrument back to External and lo and behold, the RD-2000 is the MIDI destination. WTF?

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.32.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.32.30 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.32.49 PM.png

Hi @trstack,

Thanks for the file. I don't see anything in it that could explain the behavior you're seeing with that RD-2000 port appearing like that (and as I expected I could not reproduce that here).

I don't think the MIDI Driver could could this behavior, but maybe it's worth a shot and delete it if you still have it:

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/RDUSB01E7Midi.plugin

J.

2 minutes ago, enossified said:

Try changing the port to the Montage then save that as the User Default. See if that works..

Maybe that could help in this case, but under under normal circumstances there's no need to manually save a preset that includes a specific port assignment as that will be saved with the project anyway.

J.

On 3/24/2024 at 7:26 PM, Jordi Torres said:

Hi @trstack,

Thanks for the file. I don't see anything in it that could explain the behavior you're seeing with that RD-2000 port appearing like that (and as I expected I could not reproduce that here).

I don't think the MIDI Driver could could this behavior, but maybe it's worth a shot and delete it if you still have it:

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/RDUSB01E7Midi.plugin

J.

The RD driver does not exist on my Mac.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:41 AM, enossified said:

In your screenshot I see you are opening up External Instrument with the User Default. 

Try changing the port to the Montage then save that as the User Default. See if that works...

Tried that along with creating a newly named Montage M8x config. No difference. I thought it might be related to the External Instrument being setup as a plug-in vs a straight external instrument with no plug-in options. Still testing some things to see If I can find the culprit.

I do appreciate the feedback!

@trstack,

Here's a couple more ideas:

1 - Quit Logic and delete Logic's control surfaces preferences file:

/Users/your username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Please remember that your user Library folder may be hidden. You can access it from the Finder's Go menu and holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Once this is done, launch Logic and test again.

Note: You'll have to set up the Montage as a control surface again after doing this.

2- Upload your current Audio MIDI Setup MIDI Devices configuration file (I'm assuming you have just one) to be absolutely sure there's nothing weird there:

/Users/your username/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations/Default.mcfg

J.