Updating Logic versus updating the operating system

Neil Gilmartin
Go to solution Solved by oscwilde,

Hi all. 

I'm still running the Monterey operating system on my Mac for fear of upsetting existing Logic projects and plug-in performance. However, with reference to the fidelity of projects specifically, what about updating to newer versions of Logic? Can a Logic update alone also negatively affect existing projects? I'm running 10.7.9 at the moment, and quite keen to have a play with Sample Alchemy and the Mastering Assistant.  

Cheers!

Edited by Neil Gilmartin

• Neil Gilmartin changed the title to Updating Logic versus updating the operating system
  • Solution

Make a copy of 10.7.9 and save it in another folder, then rename it to Logic Pro 10.7.9 (or whatever name you prefer) in the Applications folder.
Do the update to 10.8.x (it'll be called Logic Pro.app)....and give it a try.

Can an update to a newer version impact on projects saved in earlier versions?.....yes, as the devs may have changed something in the core engine,  under-the-hood.
This can impact the timing of regions, libraries (renaming, etc.) routing, a.s.o., so you might need to do some tweaks/reload some stuff, etc.
That said....you might have zero issues with existing projects - it depends on whether or not your (old) project uses features that have changed in the newer version.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Neil Gilmartin said:

However, with reference to the fidelity of projects specifically, what about updating to newer versions of Logic?

That would require you to update the OS as well anyway because Monterey only supports Logic up to version 10.7.9

• Like 2