Recording Vocals... VU readings but no sound output?

Reesche
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Mac OS 10.14.6     LogicProX 10.5.1

Hi you guys I have a couple of questions for you on sound output in LogicProX MAC

I am working on a song and I want to add a track to record bongos with my Behringer condenser mic and a Behringer Interface (UMC202HD) going into my Mac and using LogicProX.  I have used all of this before and had no problems.

1. First I created a AUDIO track and Set the Input to Input 2 (Device UMC202HD 192k) and the Output to Output 1 + 2 (Built-in Line Output) Then I selected a VOICE - Bright Vocal....

2. I get VU readings when I talk into the condenser microphone but no output.

3. LogicProX Preferences/ Audio settings.... see attached screen shot.

4. Mac System Preferences-SOUND- Input settings and Output settings...see attached screen shot.

I can't figure out what I am not doing.  I recorded a song just a few months ago and it was fine. I pulled it up and compared my settings on this track to the settings on the new song.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Reesche

Logic 1.png

Sound- Output.png

Sound-Input.png

How are you monitoring Logic? You have the Mac's Line out set as your audio output device, not your Behringer interface - so do you have speakers/headphones connected directly to the Mac, and not to your audio interface?

I listen to the music via Logic Pro by my speakers or headphones.  I have never used my Behringer UMC202HD to listen to anything.  The UMC202HD is interfaced to my MAC computer via USB and read by LogicProX.

46 minutes ago, Reesche said:

2. I get VU readings when I talk into the condenser microphone but no output.

Meter readings on which channels? Just the track you are recording on, or do you also see the meters move on the main Stereo Out?

Does the audio from your mic record, and playback OK?

Ok, so it *is* playing to your main outputs, so you should be hearing it, as long as you can hear what Logic is doing. Are you sure your Mac's volume is loud enough? The output volume in your screenshot seems to be pretty low.

And does the track record and play back OK?

Here is another screen shot.  I am getting read outs of input in all the RED circled areas and can hear some audio but it is weak and not normal.  My SYSTEM volume is set at 1/2 the volume... which is plenty loud to hear the instruments I have already recorded. The problem reared its head when I created a AUDIO track.

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 4.43.49 PM.png

16 hours ago, Reesche said:

YES I just tested it but the volume seems way to low.

You're routing through a bus (Bus 1) and the bus send knob next to the Bus 1 send determines the level in that Aux channel strip on the right. Note that you're also routing the track straight to the Stereo Out, and to another bus (Bus 9). 

• Solution

Maybe the plugins you are using are lowering your channel volume? Try disabling the plugins on that audio track, and checking the levels in the channel meter between input monitor mode, and track playback. They should be the same.

If you then turn on your plugins and the volume drops, then what you are doing with the plugins is turning your playback & monitoring volume down, so you'll need to address the volume issue there.

I think the problem was that I was inputting the condenser mike into the AUDIO track and then not adding the "compression" boost that actually made the sound louder in the mix.  Also, the boost + in the bus on that track.  I create these songs around once every 6-8 months and forget the settings... I probably need to make some production notes now for the future!  Again,  thanks for all of your help..... made me think!  Reesche

• Like 2