2 problems that may be related | One project is louder in one monitor/summing track not panning

Sherlap

Started noticing today this project I'm working on is definitely louder in my right monitor.  It's easiest to tell with the bass and drums which are both centered and the levels looking centered on the outputs.  If I switch the speaker cables, the right speaker is now louder.  This is not happening when I play youtube/other audio through the same speakers/interface(Steinberg UR44C), everything is how it should be, centered/etc.  

Also: bass guitar track in a summing stack won't pan at all.  If I pan the summing track it pans, but not the bass track itself.  Hard left or right the volume stays in the same place.  

My other projects are all seeming fine.

Logic 10.4.8

Steinberg UR44C

Here's screenshots of the drum tracks and bass.  For the drums, those do pan but for some reason even though centered and showing equal on both sides, is louder in the right speaker.

Here's a video of me panning the bass and it not working on the track and working on the summing track.  It's doing something, you can hear a little click and something sounds different but it isn't panning.  Also louder in the right speaker despite being centered:  https://imgur.com/a/0JVHRoo

ScreenShot2024-03-27at3_24.29PM(2).thumb.png.da337fd8ea29287ab4badca5de1f0a74.pngScreenShot2024-03-27at3_24.47PM(2).thumb.png.9990f2f21f36ef4030b26e432bcc00db.pngScreenShot2024-03-27at3_24.49PM(2).thumb.png.b82642c7d4797540df11dfcb932f53af.png

9 hours ago, Sherlap said:

Here's a video of me panning the bass and it not working on the track and working on the summing track.

Make sure all those plug-ins on the Aux are stereo? You can click hold the little double-arrow symbol that appears on the right of the blue plug-in inserts when you hover your mouse pointer over the insert to check its mono/stereo format. 

15 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Make sure all those plug-ins on the Aux are stereo? You can click hold the little double-arrow symbol that appears on the right of the blue plug-in inserts when you hover your mouse pointer over the insert to check its mono/stereo format. 

So it seems all of my Fabfilter stuff had the stereo options disappear somehow.  They all only show mono.  Perhaps I need to reinstall them?  That shouldn't mess with the settings in my projects right?

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

so I also just ran into this:  this track is not in a stack and has no plugins on it and is not panning either.  It was in a stack with some other tracks that were all not working, one of which I pulled out and it started panning correctly, but several of them behaving like this, showing centered on the meters and coming out of the center soundwise, even though supposed to be hard panned

ScreenShot2024-03-28at4_58.05PM(2).thumb.png.b6e1648fef0582044295e074124b0c38.png

Edited by Sherlap

16 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Here's what happened next lol so I pulled a track out of the summing stack and it started panning correctly.  So then I flattened the stack to see if it worked for the rest, but they kept not working right.  So I undid that and dragged them out rather than flattening the stack.  It didn't work highlighting and dragging them all at once, but one by one and they are all working.  

10 minutes ago, JakobP said:

You're welcome 🙂

I don't know how something I never touch would have gotten switched twice in one week with many years of using Logic under my belt but, hey now I know another thing to look out for.  Appreciate it! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JakobP said:

The tracks output is set to a bus which has its receiving aux set to mono input. Set the aux to stereo (with its plugins) and it should work again...

@JakobP I'm having a reverse groundhog day experience here. Shouldn't the panning be visible on the source channel meters too, like below — as you pointed out yourself last year in the thread linked below?

panning.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

@JakobP I'm having a reverse groundhog day experience here. Shouldn't the panning be visible on the source channel meters too, like below — as you pointed out yourself last year in the thread linked below?

😄 You're right, never noticed this here before ! So, I experimented a bit and noticed that this happens when having a mono audio region on a stereo track. Seems to be a bug, really... 

EDIT Tried it in 10.5.1 and it's there too... 😮 

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 2