MPE on smart controls?

David Robisco

I got an Osmose a few months ago and I was wondering if it is possible to set it up with smart controls so let say, if I press harder the key I could increase the mix on a reverb for example, but I haven't found anything online talking about this. I guess it could be possible but making some crazy mapping stuff? Thanks in advance!

I think MPE controllers are sending channel pressure events, with a different (rolling over) MIDI channel for each incoming note. If that's the case with your controller then you need to figure out a way to make one assignment work independently of the incoming MIDI channel. 

If you can't figure out an easier way, that's something that could be done with Scripter. 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:05 PM, oscwilde said:

Smart Controls have a Learn mode (or you can manually assign them)....so assuming the Osmose is sending poly AT, you could assign this as the mod source for a smart control parameter.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcp076273cd/10.8/mac/13.5

I guess so, but in learn mode, wouldn't logic trigger a few paramaters just from the key I'm pressing? Also does Logic recognise poly AT as a modulation source? Thanks oscwilde!

On 3/28/2024 at 8:18 AM, David Nahmani said:

I think MPE controllers are sending channel pressure events, with a different (rolling over) MIDI channel for each incoming note. If that's the case with your controller then you need to figure out a way to make one assignment work independently of the incoming MIDI channel. 

If you can't figure out an easier way, that's something that could be done with Scripter. 

Thats right. I have no idea on programming on Scripter, you think chat gpt can help doing a script for that? 

20 minutes ago, David Robisco said:

I guess so, but in learn mode, wouldn't logic trigger a few paramaters just from the key I'm pressing? Also does Logic recognise poly AT as a modulation source?

You can try doing the assignment, and if doesn't come out as you'd wish, you can always either edit the assignment or create it manually from Scratch in the Controller Assignments window > Expert View. And yes, you can assign Poly AT to control say Filter Cutoff on a synth or whatever.

As for separating incoming data with Scripter, that will only work with MIDI data that has not been assigned to control something in Logic via Controller Assignments/ MIDI Learn. In other words, If you've assigned something, it will no longer reach Scripter for it to be able to process that data.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, David Robisco said:

Thats right. I have no idea on programming on Scripter, you think chat gpt can help doing a script for that? 

Ok so before we go any further, let's figure out if your controller sends polyphonic aftertouch or channel pressure? 

In Logic's LCD Display, on the right, click the little down arrow symbol and choose Custom. Now play a key and press on it and take a screenshot (Command + Shift + 3) of the MIDI input display so that we can see the type of data being sent: 

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 10.04.30 AM.png

• Like 1

It is also a good idea to download/install a MIDI monitor program, especially if you are dealing with large amounts of data. This will help you clearly visualize what your Osmose is sending.

Try the Snoize MIDI Monitor, or ShowMIDI, or both. Both free:

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

https://github.com/gbevin/ShowMIDI

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Robisco said:

I have no idea on programming on Scripter, you think chat gpt can help doing a script for that?

ChatGPT can help, but usually at least some of the code it gives may not be valid within Scripter, so it may require further tweaking.

If you need help with Scripter, we can also help with that. We have a forum dedicated to it:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/forum/17-midi-fx-plug-in-scripts/

J.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 11:19 AM, Jordi Torres said:

ChatGPT can help, but usually at least some of the code it gives may not be valid within Scripter, so it may require further tweaking.

If you need help with Scripter, we can also help with that. We have a forum dedicated to it:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/forum/17-midi-fx-plug-in-scripts/

J.

Awesome! I was looking for something like that, thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2024 at 10:52 AM, Jordi Torres said:

It is also a good idea to download/install a MIDI monitor program, especially if you are dealing with large amounts of data. This will help you clearly visualize what your Osmose is sending.

Try the Snoize MIDI Monitor, or ShowMIDI, or both. Both free:

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

https://github.com/gbevin/ShowMIDI

J.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:06 AM, David Nahmani said:

Ok so before we go any further, let's figure out if your controller sends polyphonic aftertouch or channel pressure? 

In Logic's LCD Display, on the right, click the little down arrow symbol and choose Custom. Now play a key and press on it and take a screenshot (Command + Shift + 3) of the MIDI input display so that we can see the type of data being sent: 

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 10.04.30 AM.png

Sorry for the late reply guys, if been out of the studio for a few days. So I downloaded MIDI monitor and made a quick video playing the Osmose in logic with the MIDI data visible:
OsmoseMIDIData.thumb.png.7536908d558d8d483602c4469fb403ec.png

This is what came out of that just by pressing one note until it reached the aftertouch sensor and dragging the key down to activate the pitch.

Edited by David Robisco
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, David Robisco said:

This is what came out of that just by pressing one note until it reached the aftertouch sensor and dragging the key down to activate the pitch.

Now play hold the first note while you play another note and press down on it, let's see what you get? 

All on channel 1.
The assignment should be pretty straightforward - either directly in a synth / plug-in, or smart control/automation system.

Perhaps you can let us know what you specifically want to try to control (maybe a couple of things/examples), and one of us can help out with potential ways this can be achieved?

Channel Pressure = regular aftertouch (this is what I see in your screenshot)

Key Pressure = polyphonic aftertouch

MPE is not the same thing as poly AT. It puts each note on a different MIDI channel, where poly AT has all notes on the same channel.

Edited by enossified
Add info about MPE

On 4/5/2024 at 5:54 PM, David Robisco said:

Here:

It looks like you've released the first note before playing the second one? What I wanted to see was what you get if you play and hold down the first note while you're playing and applying pressure on a second note. 

Normally for an MPE keyboard you should see each note on its own MIDI channel, and the channel pressure data from each note have the same MIDI channel as the corresponding note. 

On 4/8/2024 at 9:11 AM, David Nahmani said:

what you get if you play and hold down the first note while you're playing and applying pressure on a second note.

Yeah thats what I did on the video. Pressing the first note and while pressing, pushing a new key until it reached the aftertouch.

8 hours ago, David Robisco said:

Yeah thats what I did on the video. Pressing the first note and while pressing, pushing a new key until it reached the aftertouch.

Ok so both keys send the same aftertouch MIDI data on the same MIDI channel, so there's no MPE behavior going on, you can't differentiate between the notes. The behavior is like a normal MIDI keyboard, sending channel pressure. 

So you can assign that aftertouch data to a Smart Control in the External Assignment pane. First play and hold down a note, then click Learn, then press on the note and disable the learn button. 

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 9.47.45 AM.png