MIDI Keyboard suddenly stops working

Bobby Knusprig

Hello, I have a new MIDI keyboard and would like to use it with Logic Pro X.

My hardware is a Roland A-49-BK keyboard and a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015). They are connected via an USB to USB-B cable.  Logic has always worked great so far - but I hadn't worked with a MIDI keyboard or VST plugins before.

After opening a new project, I selected a VST electric piano from Logic, was able to play at first and then - suddenly no more outgoing signals from the keyboard were recognised.  

I then deleted the device via the "Logic Pro -> User interface -> Setup" tab and reconnected it. At first it worked again, then after a short time it stopped working.

I also get a signal for intervals between 5 minutes and half a second when I press "Reset all MIDI drivers" in "Settings -> MIDI".  Does anyone have a similar problem and has already found a solution or an idea how I could solve the problem? Im annoyed and want to practice piano. Many thanks in advance! All the Best!

Hi @Bobby Knusprig,

I think there's a MIDI Device Script built into Logic for you Roland A-49 (actually valid for all Roland A Series keyboards). This basically auto maps some of the keyboards controls to Logic's Smart controls and other functions.

As you don't necessarily have to use your keyboard this way, you could try bypassing (disabling) this auto configuration and use the keyboard as a regular, "dumb" MIDI controller.

To do so, please go to Settings > Control Surfaces > MIDI Controllers. You should the a table there with a like for your keyboard, and a checkbox in the "Auto" column. 

See if unchecking that box makes the keyboard behave as expected.

Screenshot2024-03-27at18_35_12.png.82711798b78d12dec5d39853ac8942b2.png

If that doesn't help, next I'd check that you have the latest driver available for your keyboard and your version of macOS (which version of macOS and Logic do you have?)

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/a-49/updates_drivers/

J. 

• Like 2

Hey @Jordi Torres. Thanks a lot for the fast reply. I used the uncheck box and there was no signal anymore – but I guess that lets me setup the "dumb" keyboard through "User interfaces -> Controller assignments"? Actually, after a break and restarting everything, I haven't had any problem for now but if there is troubleshooting again I will come back. So Thanks a lot! Also I will update all the drivers... havent done that yet! So thanks again fpr the Tip!

• Like 1

You're welcome Bobby! 🙂

22 minutes ago, Bobby Knusprig said:

I used the uncheck box and there was no signal anymore

Normally unchecking that box will simply disable the automatic configuration that is facilitated behind the scenes by the MIDI Device Script I mentioned, and this simply means that your keyboard will send MIDI data to Logic that's not mapped to anything (so, plain MIDI notes, Control Change events, Pitch Bend, etc.)

26 minutes ago, Bobby Knusprig said:

but I guess that lets me setup the "dumb" keyboard through "User interfaces -> Controller assignments"?

Yes, by doing this you'll be able to freely assign any of the MIDI messages your keyboard sends to parameters of your choice in Logic.

28 minutes ago, Bobby Knusprig said:

Actually, after a break and restarting everything, I haven't had any problem for now but if there is troubleshooting again I will come back. So Thanks a lot! Also I will update all the drivers... havent done that yet! So thanks again fpr the Tip!

Good. Sure, post back if you run into other issues.

J.