1/2 second delay when playing software instruments?

Jazzooo

And yes, I'm embarrassed but I plead old age or something. Thanks for your patience.

So I have Logic up and running on my new Mac mini Pro computer. I've been recording some demos, triggering software instruments from my Yamaha keyboard. No problem.

Today I had a song on my old computer that I wanted to work on with my new computer. Actually it was just on a hard drive, only about a year old. So I disconnected the drive from the old and plugged it into the new computer. I've been listening to it and doing some edits in the Score Edit window, again--no problem.

Now I want to play a new performance of a software instrument and the delay I'm getting is enormous--I press the note and it's about 1/2 second before I hear it. Remember, I've been doing this all along and it was fine until I plugged the new drive in. I tried setting the latency a few different ways but to no avail.

I haven't had these kinds of problems in 15 years and I honestly can't remember how to deal with them. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Did you copy the file from the old drive to the internal drive before working on it?
If not, do this and see if the behaviour changes.

Newer MacOS versions are somewhat "picky" (or straight up don't work) with older file systems/disk formats.

• David Nahmani changed the title to 1/2 second delay when playing software instruments?
10 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I would save a copy of the project, so that you can do some tests in the copy while leaving the original untouched. 

Now in the copy, open the Mixer and remove all plug-ins. Is the latency now gone? 

No difference.

Worth a shot:

Did you have latency inducing plugins in the original project on the stereo out? If you did: After making a copy of that project to the internal drive, try saving the channel strip setting on the stereo out (so you can recall it later) then on the stereo out: reset channel strip. Did this fix it? 

• Like 1