Send CC MIDI to external devices from Mainstage

syr91

Hello everyone!

I'm working on creating a Mainstage template that allows me to change midi parameters on external devices. In particular, I am using a Nord Stage 3, and I have managed to change patches with Mainstage, and I also did it on a Yamaha Modx7.

I have also discovered that, by adding an external instrument channel, you can send not only that patch change information, but also a Midi file that allows me to change certain parameters in the patches of the external device itself. To do this, I created midi files with the information I want in Logic Pro and attached them to the Midi Output tab of the external instrument channel.

My question is: is there any way to do this task differently? It seems tricky to me, and you need Logic every time you want to modify something to create a single Midi file that you will use to change the parameter you want at that moment, export it and attach it in Mainstage. It surprises me that there is no other way to do it, since I would have to create countless Midi files for each of the tasks I intend to do, and this way wastes a lot of time.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @syr91,

On 3/28/2024 at 4:56 PM, syr91 said:

I have also discovered that, by adding an external instrument channel, you can send not only that patch change information, but also a Midi file that allows me to change certain parameters in the patches of the external device itself. To do this, I created midi files with the information I want in Logic Pro and attached them to the Midi Output tab of the external instrument channel.

My question is: is there any way to do this task differently?

Yes, you can use the Scripter MIDI Effect plug-in to either send any MIDI data you like (except System messages like SysEx, System Common, System Realtime) either on patch change, or on the fly by interacting with Scripter UI controls, or as a response to some arbitrary incoming MIDI message (from a MIDI Controller).

Perhaps you could give a specific example of what message or messages you would like to send to your external devices.

J.

First of all, gracias Jordi, thank you for your response.

I want to send a Midi message to a Nord Stage 3 to, for example, increase the reverb. I know that the Midi CC on the Nord to apply this change is the 113, and I want to increase the value to 90, for example (because normally, the value of this parameter is lower). So, I just want to send MIDI CC 113, value 90.

I don't know if this kind of message could be send with SysEx, System Common or System Realtime, I have no idea in this area of Midi programming.

Muchas gracias por tu tiempo

I'm managing to make an hybrid set for live performance, to use two keyboards. 

The keyboard that goes on the bottom will be the Nord, and I will use it connected by USB/MIDI to the Mac, with its own sounds and sometimes using some sounds from the Mac, and the keyboard that goes on top will be a mere controller to play live sounds that come from Mainstage.

To avoid having to make sounds on the Nord with minimal variations in some parameters (reverb, organ drawbars, volumes of the keyboard sounds themselves) I want to be able to have presets in the mainstage that send a patch change order (I already know how to do it) that changes two things, the presets of the mainstage itself (top keyboard) and the presets on the Nord; and at the same time, if necessary, a Midi signal that changes the parameter in question that you want to modify. This last part is the one that I've not idea how to deal with.

I have tried to be clear, since I already know how to change presets on the Nord with the mainstage, I would only need to change parameters of the existing sounds that I have on the Nord.

Gracias!

1 hour ago, syr91 said:

I want to be able to have presets in the mainstage that send a patch change order (I already know how to do it) that changes two things, the presets of the mainstage itself (top keyboard) and the presets on the Nord; and at the same time, if necessary, a Midi signal that changes the parameter in question that you want to modify. This last part is the one that I've not idea how to deal with.

I'm going to assume that by "presets" you mean Patches (as in MainStage patches)...also, I'm not really sure what you mean by changing "the presets of the mainstage itself (top keyboard)" if the top keyboard is supposed to be used as a "mere controller"? Sorry, but I read what you wrote several times and some of it is simply not clear to me.

Regardless, the part you say you have no idea how to deal with (sending "a Midi signal that changes the parameter in question that you want to modify") I already told you a way to do it, but unfortunately I'm not sure how you want to trigger that message, and this is what I was trying to get you to answer before.

Anyway, I've added a Scripter preset you can try out loading it in a Scripter MIDI Effect plug-in you load on a External Instrument Channel Strip in a Patch. It does the following:

• When the On Patch Change > Send Expression box is checked in the MIDI Output tab of the External Instrument Channel Strip Inspector, if the Expression parameter of that Channel Strip is set to 127, when you change to that patch from another patch, it will send CC 113 with a value of 90.
  • It will send CC 113 with a value of 90 when you click the Send button in the Scripter preset.
  • It will send CC 113 with values from the Reverb parameter in the Scripter preset.

Maybe this will give you an idea of what is possible with Scripter.

J.

Send MIDI.pst.zip

Edited by Jordi Torres