Unpack to new tracks in Stack acting weird

Tiago Rocha
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

This is the first time doing this on a Stack. Do this on audio tracks all the time and it behaves as expected.
I recorded a few takes of MIDI and saved as a Take Folder. Then picked Unpack to New Tracks, but from there, all gets weird.

Here's my Stack and you can see that when I right click on that lane, I am able to create a MIDI region (even though the last track is selected, I right clicked on the top track "Drum Kit")

1.png.7bd8a486269006e1b840d19cb9bc0bdb.png

2.png.10df20fc0aa8a9c7cf8967e86ceb5c8b.png

Now I deleted that and started recording a few takes. It creates a Take Folder.

3.png.19a3ca30e1c5b75e067c001434d8f0bd.png

Then Unpack to New Tracks.

4.png.3c0d6a237028f2d93c82e28e7cb9b0d8.png

Now when I right click the lane again, no option to create MIDI anymore. And if I try to move a MIDI region there, it doesn't let me do it. It jumps to either the lane above or below.

5.png.3314e47461bbad33879b988b585df856.png

You can see it here not letting me move the MIDI region. Even when I hit play, you can see that nothing happens (no MIDI being send to the instruments, so no sound), even though it seems that all tracks created are linked (when I click the Solo button, they all go Solo). The only way to make it work is if I move the region to one of the instrument tracks (or extra multioutput channels such as Kick In, Kick Out, etc) inside the stack.

6.gif.1a8f24b9db7b3a56ad70229f466ef890.gif

Since I have 2 different instruments for drums inside the stack, that means I would have to have the same region on both tracks, since each instrument triggers different drum pieces.

7.png.16435ddbf2b0fc85fc770ec11a9ccb47.png

8.png.607f1a1ea02a8359abd582158424aff9.png

The issue here is that if I'm working on a final MIDI performance by fixing the MIDI notes, that would mean always adjusting 2 MIDI regions and the only way to avoid this is to first create a clone on one of the tracks and when I'm happy with the performance, delete the clone and create a real copy on that track.

But unless I'm missing something "logical" here, this doesn't seem like a normal behavior. 

Edited by Tiago Rocha