Advanced Time Signature/Smart Tempo Editing Help

sonoricity

I have a piano session that was recorded without a click and rubato, so variable tempo and many time signature changes are required. Automatic smart tempo does not work in this case. After grouping all mics, I used Smart Tempo on a single close mic and used Downbeat Hints (and respective time signature changes) and Beat Hints so that after clicking "Apply Changes" it would find all tempi and apply the directed time signature changes. For the most part, it did a good job, and all Downbeat Hints do in fact line up with their actual downbeats. There are a bunch of measures, though, that were given 2x tempo and 2x the amount of measures. Especially super slow measures of 2/4 that were given 1 Downbeat Hint and 1 Beat Hint, many were split up into two measures each with their tempo doubled to account for the extra measure. Is there a way to change this? 

Here's an example of a 2/4 section with added beats/measures between 77-91 outside of the Downbeat/Beat Hints... 

Screenshot-2024-03-29-at-2-10-26-PM.png

Also... is there a manual equivalent to Identify Beat in Logic? I've used Pro Tools for many years, and I love the Identify Beat function for cases like mine - being able to manually input time signature changes in addition to the tempo changes. I would honestly prefer a function like this, as using all those Downbeat/Beat Hints takes a similar amount of time to just inputting them manually. I prefer Logic for pretty much everything else, so I'd be thrilled to be able to use it for my entire workflow. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On 3/29/2024 at 6:16 PM, sonoricity said:

is there a manual equivalent to Identify Beat in Logic?

Yes, Beat Mapping: https://www.logicprohelp.com/search/?&tags=beat mapping

Beat Mapping might be the tool of choice if you can't seem to figure out a way to get the right tempo or scale the beat markers in the desired positions in the Smart Tempo editor. 

This post on beat mapping by @fuzzfilth is particularly helpful: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/topic/135657-beat-mapping-flex-time-amp-embedded-tempo/#comment-779411

• Like 1