Many different takes resulting in many different volumes, how do I quickly normalize them?

paidoperative

Hi! 

My question is similar to 

image.thumb.png.b2a841d64c4fa1da58c265f21cc59947.pngThis is an example of my comp right now. I'm wondering maybe the quickest and most accurate way of doing this is to go through each region and tweak the gain using the gain on the left hand side for every region, and listen to it manually and adjust as needed? 

image.png.dfade09bdf56ac5007971f11bda7211a.png

I'm on Logic Pro 10.8 Rosetta and AFAIK the gain tool doesn't work properly and is a known bug... Any suggested workflows/keyboard shortcuts/tips for doing this on the regular?  

image.png.4561cd358411495b4e3265a2c89d9210.png

Thx so much 🙂

Edited by paidoperative

6 hours ago, paidoperative said:

This is an example of my comp right now. I'm wondering maybe the quickest and most accurate way of doing this is to go through each region and tweak the gain using the gain on the left hand side for every region, and listen to it manually and adjust as needed? 

1. Click the take folder menu (it says 'B' on your first screenshot), and choose Flatten.
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 11.17.27 AM.png
  2. Select all the regions, and choose Functions > Normalize Region Gain. 
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, David Nahmani said:
  1. Click the take folder menu (it says 'B' on your first screenshot), and choose Flatten.
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 11.17.27 AM.png
  2. Select all the regions, and choose Functions > Normalize Region Gain. 

Thank you!!

My flow then is

1. Duplicate Trackimage.thumb.png.919cbd34dd9ad2c179040125988d73a6.png

2. Copy + Paste the selected track into the duplicated track

3. Select each comp (there are 3) and Flatten

4. Functions > Normalize Region Gain.

This is to preserve the original take selections. Open to feedback if you see something glaringly obvious that I can improve here:)

Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paidoperative said:

Open to feedback if you see something glaringly obvious that I can improve here:)

No your workflow looks good to me! 🙂 

You could turn off the original track (use the on/off button or press Control + M to toggle the selected track off and on). 

You could also consider using track alternatives: press Control + Option + Command + D to create a duplicate track alternative (B) that you flatten and move on, you can always go back to the original alternative (A) that still contains your take folders.