Does Alchemy still need the .aaz files?

Tiago Rocha

Today I was organizing my Alchemy presets and I decided to move all the .aaz files (Alchemy analyzed audio data) to a different folder and start loading my presets one by one to really understand which aaz files were not necessary anymore. To my surprise, it seems that all presets that were supposed to use those files, load without any issues. I even Refreshed the library, removed Alchemy and inserted it again, but it seems that having those files removed make no difference.

Is this a new "feature" where maybe that kind of data is stored with the preset itself, or with the project, similar to how Sampler differs from EXS24 where the files are stored with the project?

Posted (edited)

I just noticed that there are aaz files in the ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Alchemy Samples folder. Maybe that's where those files now reside instead of the presets folder? That would be awesome, because I'm not a big fan of presets and aaz files being in the same place.

Edited by Tiago Rocha

Ok so here's what I noticed:

Today I was renaming all my presets by adding *tr to the beginning of the name so for example one preset that I had, called *Boxy Trip is now called *tr Boxy Trip

I had these 2 files in the Plug-In Settings > Alchemy folder:
*Boxy TripA0000-Bass-AF.aaz
*Boxy TripB0000-EditorData-A.aaz

Which seems to be the ones being use by the preset.

Those files were not in the Alchemy Samples folder. I moved them from the Plug-In Settings > Alchemy folder to the Desktop to check if that would make a difference and it didn't. Then 2 minutes ago I opened the *tr Boxy Trip preset and when I went to the Alchemy Samples folder, now I see the 2 files there, with the new name:
*tr Boxy TripA0000-Bass-AF.aaz
*tr Boxy TripB0000-EditorData-A.aaz

So my guess is that this is indeed the new location? But I'm still wondering: if the files were not there, where did Alchemy get them from?

Also, when I open the .acp file using BBEdit, I can still see it pointing to the old location (no aaz files there anymore):
ZnFile = ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Alchemy/Synth - organize/*Boxy TripA0000-Bass-AF.aaz
ZnFile = ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Alchemy/Synth - organize/*Boxy TripB0000-EditorData-A.aaz