Audio Units Always Rescan Upon Opening Logic Pro 10.8.1 with Sonoma 14.1.2

Enalorak

Ever since I installed Sonoma, all my audio units are rescanning every time I open Logic, which is really annoying. When I abort the scan, the plugins still work, so that's a short-term solution. However, every time I install a new plugin, I still need to rescan all of them.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Are you talking about "scanning", or "validating"? These are two different processes.

If you abort the validation process, the AU cache file won't get written, so Logic will re-validate the next time you open it. You really want to wait until it completes.

When you install a new plugin, the (normal) scan of plugins Logic does on startup on your system will show a new plugin is installed but not yet validated, and Logic will then validate it, and write the validation results to the AU cache file and make the plugin available in Logic. Once validated, it won't need to be validated again.

If you are finding Logic is continuing to re-validate plugins that have already gone through the validation process, it's possible you have permission problems on your account making the AU cache not-writable, perhaps?

I'm pretty sure it's scanning and not validating, as seen in the attached file. It scans all my plugins every time I open Logic Pro, not just the new ones. Even after going through the scanning process, it repeats the same scanning of all my plugins each time I reopen Logic Pro. I've attempted this process many times, but the issue persists. At one point, I tried deleting my AudioUnitCache, yet the problem remains. I can observe in my AudioUnitCache that new AUScan entries are created every time I open Logic Pro, indicating that my AU cache is indeed writable, right?

Screenshot2024-04-01at6_02_19PM.png.93850ac105fac58bd1570b6eadab8dd5.png

It may also be a validation problem, but I'm unsure how to verify this. Additionally, I'm running Logic Pro through Rosetta, and I've also tried running it without Rosetta, but I encounter the same issue.

12 hours ago, Enalorak said:

I'm pretty sure it's scanning and not validating, as seen in the attached file.

That dialog comes up because Logic has detected new plugins, and will validate the new ones...

@oscwilde

I haven't updated to OS Sonoma since I installed this version, and right now, I'm working on a project, so I won't update it until I'm done with this project.

My Mac is a MacBook Pro 14-inch, 2021 with an M1 chip and 16GB of memory.

@des99

Yes, exactly. However, as I mentioned, this popup appears every time I open Logic Pro. Each time it scans through all 480 of my plugins. It's supposed to only scan new plugins when there are any, but it scans through all of them every time. I hope my explanation is clear now. I'm wondering if there's a solution to this bug because it's annoying.

To recap:

I open Logic Pro.

The popup window that says "Scanning Audio Units" opens.

It scans all my plugins.

Logic Pro then works normally.

If I close Logic Pro and reopen it, the popup window that says "Scanning Audio Units" opens again.

It scans all my plugins again.

Sometimes, when I click on "Abort" and decide not to scan all my plugins, Logic Pro still works fine, and all my plugins work fine also."

41 minutes ago, Enalorak said:

Each time it scans through all 480 of my plugins. It's supposed to only scan new plugins when there are any, but it scans through all of them every time.

Are you sure it's scanning/revalidating all of your plugins? For 480 plugins, I'd expect that to take 5 or 10 minutes or more. Usually what happens is that box comes up, but only the new plugins are validated, and it's fairly quick.

If it is indeed taking five or ten minutes to do that every time you run Logic, that would imply a permissions issue with the cache to me.

If it's only taking 30 seconds or so, it's one or a few plugins that are "stuck", or are being updated in the background possibly, that Logic needs to revalidate.

Are your plugins in the root plugin folder, or the user plugin folder? If you run Logic from a new, temporary test user account, do you see the same behaviour?

Okay, so I just calculated the time, and it took 3 minutes and 30 seconds. It's definitely not validating new plugins because I don't have any new plugins to validate right now. It seems to be scanning all of them, and maybe there are also some plugins that are 'stuck,' as you said, or I have a cache permission issue. To be honest, I don't know how to verify my cache permission or how to know if a plugin is 'stuck.' Can you help me with that?

I'll create a new user account to see if it has the same issue.

• 3 weeks later...