Midi FX on an Audio Channel

Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

I know of various ways to send an audio channel via bus or turning off the output of the audio channel and using a midi channel with a gate or compressor and using the sidechain settings to send the audio to it, but I am looking for something else.

I have a sequencer that generates midi and is ran through midi fx, it is called Seqund if u have heard of it.

What I want to do is have an audio channel that has input from my hardware synth, but have a midi channel with seqund in the midi fx generate midi for it.

Is this possible at all? or is the only way to use midi fx on an audio is to actually have an audio file in the audio track?

• Solution

Hi Michael,

If you want to use the MIDI data generated by the plug-in drive your hardware synth (Seqund being a step sequencer , that would make sense), you would need to use it in conjunction with the External Instrument plug-in in Logic.

If on the other hand you want to use the MIDI data generated by the plug-in to control parameters on an audio effect on an audio channel strip (seeing that Seqund apparently generates CCs) you’d also load in on a software instrument channel strip and use it in conjunction with the External Instrument plug-in, but this time you’d send the generated MIDI out to an IAC driver bus (port) and then use the data to automate your audio effect (due to the fact that data sent out IAC will loop back into Logic automatically).

You need to enable IAC in Audio MIDI Setup (MIDI Studio window) in Applications/Utilities.

J.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, des99 said:

Note that nowadays Logic has its own virtual MIDI port you can use that’s always available - no need to go hunting to enable the IAC port.

Logic’s own virtual MIDI ports don’t loop back, so it necessarily has to be IAC in that case.

J.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi Michael,

If you want to use the MIDI data generated by the plug-in drive your hardware synth (Seqund being a step sequencer , that would make sense), you would need to use it in conjunction with the External Instrument plug-in in Logic.

If on the other hand you want to use the MIDI data generated by the plug-in to control parameters on an audio effect on an audio channel strip (seeing that Seqund apparently generates CCs) you’d also load in on a software instrument channel strip and use it in conjunction with the External Instrument plug-in, but this time you’d send the generated MIDI out to an IAC driver bus (port) and then use the data to automate your audio effect (due to the fact that data sent out IAC will loop back into Logic automatically).

You need to enable IAC in Audio MIDI Setup (MIDI Studio window) in Applications/Utilities.

J.

External midi plugin did the trick, thanks!

• Like 1

I wanted to solve this as well, but I did not want to have to handle MIDI data leaving Logic, so I figured we can do it this way (as described in the video linked below).

In a nutshell, make an instrument track, load a stock plugin which has a sidechain you can monitor, set that as you need, and now you have a MIDI FX audio channel!