How much EQ/Effects/automation do you do before you go into the mixing room with mix engineer?

How much do you automate before a mixing session at studio?  

1. 1. How much do you automate before a mixing session at studio?

• As much as possible - it will save time and help guide the sound of your track since can't 100% leave that in hands of mixing engineer
    • Some, only significant ideas that I want to see happen and are creative choices
    • None - let the mixing engineer handle that
  2. 2. How much general mixing (e.g. EQ/Compression/Panning/effects) do you do?

• As much as possible - it will save time and help guide the sound of your track since can't 100% leave that in hands of mixing engineer
    • Some, only significant ideas that I want to see happen and are creative choices
    • None - let the mixing engineer handle that

Hi everyone-

I've got two recordings: a barebones folky bedroom recording for a song w/ 5 tracks (gtr/vocals/bass/drums/trumpet) and another indie-rock one with similar amounts of tracks. I haven't played with any EQ/Compression/Panning/Effects/Automation as I was hoping the mixing engineer would help me with these things... But is it ideal if the songwriter has a solid amount of opinions/preferences on these modifications before entering the session with the mixer?

For more context for the session: I've got a 10 hour day booked at the studio... but I do have some timing/tuning to fix up with my tracks, nothing major, just need to go through them and correct a few small things. Reamping and playing through the MIDI through an analog keyboard is also on the agenda. Not entirely sure what else is on the agenda, so I was wondering, is it a bad idea to come with just the music as polished/comped as it can be with little idea on automation, etc.?

I know it's a vague question ,but my first time in this rodeo and so hoping to hear any thoughts:)

Thx!!

Edited by paidoperative

I would suggest you do all the editing first until you are happy.

While you do this, you may encounter things you would like to fix with an EQ, like perhaps the voice or guitar (or whatever you recorded) is too boomy, or too harsh - stuff like that, but don't obsess over it.

When you go to the engineer you booked make sure that you have a clear vision of how you want your piece to sound - bring example tracks and write down what specifically you like about the sound of them!

Engineers sometimes have a tendency to become producers and waltz all over a piece, especially with inexperienced artists. But perhaps that generation of engineers has died off, I don't know...

Then make sure that you both (!) keep an open mind while you work, it will help the most because sometimes taking a risk and realizing it went into the wrong direction can be important along the path.

Make sure to mentally take a step back and try to always listen with fresh ears. For me this is incredibly hard.

Also: there are no rules and there is no right or wrong - if it pleases you, it's good.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, wonshu said:

When you go to the engineer you booked make sure that you have a clear vision of how you want your piece to sound - bring example tracks and write down what specifically you like about the sound of them!

Thanks for the thoughts. It's too late to be asking this question now, since my mixing date is in 1 week, but for next time... I wonder how I can best sculpt my sound. For example, I know Bon Iver's stuff (both old and new) is a north light for me, and he has a bunch of random noises (e.g. for ambiance, thru samples, oneshots, etc.) and I don't have any of that in my music — I just have the basic instrumental stems. I don't have a chance to do this for the songs I'm bringing into the mixing session, but how do I get a sense of how to craft those final touches and sprinkles onto a song?

Is that something a seasoned producer (that I can hire thru the internet or in person) that can help with? Normally for instruments, I'd be able to piece together music via music theory and fiddling...but haven't got an idea of how to think of the ambiance and sprinkles.

If you still have a week that's like an eternity and if you have a recording device - record - record - record - record.

Record traffic, record kitchen noise, record whatever - try to find little snippets that work with your piece.

Try faking instruments with whatever you find - a hihat pattern could be played with a tooth pick hitting a knife, or two knifes loosly laying above each other.

A bass drum could be faked with an empty plastic water bottle.

It's so easy to throw stuff out later.

Be brave - like Bon Iver is, he is just human too and he dares to just do stuff the way he wants...

• Love 1