Migrating Pro Tools to Logic routing question.

Joseph Hanna

After many years of Pro Tools, and much doing professional Post Production for TV and Motion Picture, I’m migrating to Logic. There are some primary reasons that Logic Pro now represents a wiser move but by no stretch of the imagination is it to do with anything negative with Pro Tools The move has been really quite simple with almost no hiccups and or questions. The GUI is uber easy and uber intuitive. From a production stand point I think the migration will be absolutely painless.

I do have one major question about routing. I run Pro Tools (and now hopefully Logic) through a Tascam Model 16 and Model 24. For those that don't know the Tascam acts as 1) an audio interface and 2) as a 40 channel analog mixer. In Pro Tools I don't use (instantiate) the "Master Fader". Instead the I/O routing is one to one. That is to say 40 channels of Pro Tools out to 40 analog tracks in to the Tascam. 

It doesn't appear that Logic is all too happy if I don't use the Master. So my question is 1) can I run Logic one to one (sans master) like I do in Pro Tools. 2) If not it'd be good to know what exactly is placed on the master? Click track, all audio tracks, etc? None of this a deal breaker by any stretch rather just tryin' to get my feet planted in Logic.

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome.

So the two Tascams (or more to the point the driver) are saved/used as an aggregate device in MacOS...or are they handled as separate devices in PT?

How many I/Os are presented to MacOS/DAWs - either as standalone devices/aggregate device?

1 hour ago, oscwilde said:

So the two Tascams (or more to the point the driver) are saved/used as an aggregate device in MacOS...or are they handled as separate devices in PT?

How many I/Os are presented to MacOS/DAWs - either as standalone devices/aggregate device?

Thank you for the rapid reply.

Yes, when I use both the Model 16 and the Model 24 they're an aggregate device in the i/o although I would mention I use the Model 24 alone 90% of the time. Both Pro Tools and Logic recognize the individual i/o (16 and 24) structure immediately although I haven't tried the aggregate route in Logic yet.

In the Pro Tools scenario the i/o page is accurate and shows 22 in and outs. The 24th is for a discussion later but that, in and of itself, is correct. I guess distilled I need to know how to manage the Master Fader in Logic while using the analog side of the Tascams. It's important to note that I can set up Logic one-to-one, (track one of Logic to track one on the Tascam) as I do in Pro Tools and it works just swell IF I have a Master Fader instantiated. But it doesn't appear that I can simply omit the Master as I can in PT. I'm guessing when bouncing a project, things will get a tad squirrely. 

None of this is a deal breaker but as I begin the task of templates I'd like to get a better grip.

The Master Fader does have its uses....but I'm guessing it's probably not gonna be that relevant to your setup?

It might be worth spending the time to watch Brandon's clear and to the point video on this just to get your head around the output/master routing in Logic....including bouncing / impact of the output/master faders.

If this raises further questions, feel free to ask away and we'll see if we can help out.

• Like 1

Yep, the video is interesting although not earth-shaking. I suppose the takeaway with the vids is my concerns are not with the Master Fader but more so with the "Stereo-Out''. The vid is also a fairly simple interface i/o config and mine is.....well......not. 🙂

Still working on things but very close to starting on templates. I gotta get my ducks in a row. I suppose the current question is: how does the Stereo Out fader affect the bounce when I'm trying to run a one-to-one (Logic to analog mixer) bounce. I'll have to experiment with bounces but if anyone cares to add to the discussion I'd certainly appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Joseph Hanna said:

simple interface i/o config and mine is.....well......not

You're not alone....many of us run complex configs.
That said, there's enough flexibility in the Logic mixer/routings to cover most scenarios.

WRT the stereo out/bounce question.....it might be worthwhile discussing in another thread - or may ultimately be answered by figuring out "how" to handle the Main Stereo L/R Mix fader/channels on the Tascam....the 23/24 (or 1/2) - in Logic's mixer.

The question is how YOU use/want to use things...and your "typical" workflow.
How have you been using it with PT and where have you found Logic/PT to be divergent when it comes to routing?
You've mentioned that things are pretty much 1:1....but the "main out"/stereo out seems to be a sticking point - can you be specific about how/what/why etc. you use this (in ProTools) and whether or not you want to replicate this behaviour/use in Logic...or achieve something else?
Are you open to the idea of altering your workflow (I'll presume yes - given the switch to Logic 😉) and is the objective being more in the box/less in the box than you were with PT?

The hive mind here will hopefully be able to help out....but we need to understand the end goal and your general workflow/aims in order to get there.

• Like 1