Audio suddenly sound tinny and overly sibilant.

m126128

I've been working in the same template for years doing VO and suddenly I've begun to hear an overly sibilant or "tinny" sound while recording. It seems that my overall levels are suddenly louder and my rms when bouncing has changed. Ihave swapped out gear, created new volumes on my drive, re-run cables, etc and after weeks I'm still dealing with this. If anyone can help shed some light on this issue I would be deeply grateful. 

Are you saying your recordings are sounding weird, or the recordings are fine, but the playback is sounding weird?

This will help you focus on whether the problem is in the front end (ie your recording chain), or the back end (ie Logic's mixer and your monitoring chain).

Hi des thanks for the reply. It's mostly what's in my ears while I'm recording. Things sound "hotter" and more sibilant. Plosives seem to hit harder, etc. The bounces seem ok though. 

I've gone through replacing almost all of my gear with identical brand new versions, replaced and rerun cables, checked connects, etc. 

In general yes they sound ok...perhaps a bit quiter than usual...though that may be a result of my monitoring being loud so I'm subconsciously backing off the performance. I'm not sure what would have changed in my monitoring chain though as I didn't touch or change anything. What would you suggest in terms of checking?

Thank you David for your time and help!

• Like 1

I'm wondering if you may be double-monitoring: once through your audio interface, and another through Logic Pro. 

To check, choose Logic Pro > Settings > Audio > General and make sure you deselect Software Monitoring (that turns off monitoring through Logic Pro). Can you still hear your guitar when monitoring? If you are, that means you're also monitoring through your audio interface. 

43 minutes ago, m126128 said:

In fact, now that I listen again, the audio in playback sounds overly sibilant as well...so it's not just a monitoring issue. 

Can you try a new audio recording in QuickTime to see if you can reproduce the problem there? 

In QuickTime, choose File > New Audio Recording. 

Posted (edited)

It seems like I'm unable to reproduce the issue there.

When recording in QuickTime, I am hearing a fair amount of latency and little bit of echo (almost sounds like a plate reverb..which is weird) but not that overall "hot", "tinny", or "sibilant" sound. 

Edited by m126128

So in a new empty project with no plug-ins, all settings (faders, pan etc...) left at default value, Logic should limit its role to receive 0s and 1s from your audio interface and put them in a file, and route the exact same 0s and 1s to the output for monitoring and playback. Same thing as any other digital recorder including QuickTime or any other DAW. 

What audio interface are you using?