Deleting Plugin Alliance Presets - Keep Populating again

Stoobysnax

I use plugin alliance SSL 9000J a lot in Logic. It comes with a long list of presets included. I want to delete these, so I'm going into their associated folder in Library / Audio / Presets / PA... etc.. .both User / Library and system Library. Delete the presets, and they are gone inside an open SSL plugin immediately. But when I open a new instance of the SSL plugin, they repopulate and put the presets back into those folders.

Any way to have this not happen?

14 hours ago, Stoobysnax said:

I use plugin alliance SSL 9000J a lot in Logic. It comes with a long list of presets included. I want to delete these, so I'm going into their associated folder in Library / Audio / Presets / PA... etc.. .both User / Library and system Library. Delete the presets, and they are gone inside an open SSL plugin immediately. But when I open a new instance of the SSL plugin, they repopulate and put the presets back into those folders.

Any way to have this not happen?

Unfortunately this is due to the code inside. You can't change this behavior, only the programmers might. I was in contact about this some time ago. What you might want to try is VST format. 

5 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

Unfortunately this is due to the code inside. You can't change this behavior, only the programmers might. I was in contact about this some time ago. What you might want to try is VST format. 

Seems like those programmers really want you to use their factory presets 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You could change the permissions on the preset folder to not allow any editing by anyone...

That's how I used to prevent Google Chrome from updating automatically (many many years ago, I wouldn't do this today anymore)... 

1 minute ago, wonshu said:

You could change the permissions on the preset folder to not allow any editing by anyone...

That's how I used to prevent Google Chrome from updating automatically (many many years ago, I wouldn't do this today anymore)... 

Right, but then, am I not able to save my own presets in there?

CAUTION: This can seriously damage your system if you don't escape the spaces in the paths correctly!! If you don't understand this, please learn what all this means before trying it!

I warned you. Please only do this if you are comfortable with the command line.

Also: the plugin may crash if it is not allowed to write to that directory!

First off: terminal must have full disk access for this to work (Security & Privacy control panel).

Before doing this, navigate in the Terminal to the folder that contains the preset folder and do a "ls -la" - this will list everything in that directory and it will show you the current owner and group of those preset directories. Write them down somewhere so that you can revert back in case something goes wrong.

So, make sure you have a Terminal window open and a Finder window open with the folder that contains the preset folder, align the windows so that you can drag the folder from the Finder over to the terminal.

type (or copy paste) this into the terminal (there is a blank space after the word staff !!!):

sudo chown root:staff 

Then drag the folder that you want to remove access to from the Finder window onto the terminal window.

Hit return.

Now the terminal will ask you for your computer password, type it in, the cursor will NOT move while typing. Press enter when done.

If this doesn't work you could make it even more restrictive by using

sudo chown root:wheel (drag the preset folder here)

To revert this back to what it was use the owner and group values you wrote down earlier.

sudo chown owner:group (drag the preset folder here)

What I am doing wrong if terminal has full disk access, the PlugInAlliance folder is set to drwxr-xr-x@ myusername staff, and the Alpha Compressor folder to -rw-r--r--@ myusername staff, but terminal says still zsh: permission denied.

Edited by Sir Hannes

Go to System Settings -> privacy + Security -> Full Disk Access

Click the + sign, enter your password.

Press CMD+SHIFT+PERIOD(.) - this will show invisible files...

Browse to Macintosh HD/bin/zsh

Select it and click ok.

34 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

and the Alpha Compressor folder to -rw-r--r--@ myusername staff

If you want to navigate into a folder, its "executable" bit (x) needs to be set, so the mode must at least be drwxr--r-- (I wonder why there's no "d" at the start in your case as "d" means "directory" == folder).