Automation not pasting cleanly

alexwnbrg

Hey everybody,

I'm working on a mixing project that involves the same song that is transposed in all 12 keys and in 3 different speeds, so a total of 36 copies spread out across the arrange view. I have a good amount of automation that I need to transfer to each iteration of the song. 

My first question, is there a way to copy all automation data from every single track in one fell swoop and paste that in a different section of the arrangement?

The second question is when I try to copy and paste one automation lane, it's not lining up correctly. I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that there is tempo automation for the different speeds, although it seems like that shouldn't affect it as the grid stays the same. Right now, when I copy paste, it's off by a few beats, so this could end up being very time consuming if I have to copy/paste and move by hand for every one of these.

Thanks for your time!

I was going through something similar last night

I would copy automation from one track and try to paste it on another (in the piano roll automation window) and the first section of the automation data would always be cut off, thusly causing the rest to be misaligned

Hoping someone can shed some light on this

• Wow! 1

9 hours ago, alexwnbrg said:

I select entirety of song length from bar 1, copy and move playhead to start of bar 1 for where i want to paste, the nodes end up at least a beat behind where they should line up.

Have you moved the project start marker away from 1.1.1.1 ? 

On 4/10/2024 at 2:04 AM, JakobP said:

Have you moved the project start marker away from 1.1.1.1 ? 

Nope, start marker is at 1.1.1.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:35 PM, polanoid said:

So what happens if you use Paste at original Position instead?

It pastes at original position it was copied from. I'm trying to paste it a a different point in the timeline though.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I think the actual problems i was experiencing with pasting the automation might have been user error, or might have been logic behaving strangely,  whether it was because I was loading files from a new version into an older version, or something else. But now everything seems to be working fine for me. Thanks for the all of the replies, I know there were some others on here that were also experiencing this, so maybe there's still something to glean from it.

Also, another part of the question was, is there any way to take a whole part of the timeline, copy all automation lanes from all tracks, and paste that in a different part of the timeline?

4 hours ago, alexwnbrg said:

OK, I think the actual problems i was experiencing with pasting the automation might have been user error, or might have been logic behaving strangely,  whether it was because I was loading files from a new version into an older version, or something else. But now everything seems to be working fine for me. Thanks for the all of the replies, I know there were some others on here that were also experiencing this, so maybe there's still something to glean from it.

Also, another part of the question was, is there any way to take a whole part of the timeline, copy all automation lanes from all tracks, and paste that in a different part of the timeline?

Those two I guess

image.png.f91e0541ee2fbccd8d44a2e64c74e5da.png

but they will copy and paste all regions between locators as well, so you would have to manually delete those regions after using the Insert command

8 hours ago, polanoid said:

Those two I guess

image.png.f91e0541ee2fbccd8d44a2e64c74e5da.png

but they will copy and paste all regions between locators as well, so you would have to manually delete those regions after using the Insert command

Ah got it, yea this wouldn't work in my situation because there are already regions with content that I'd be pasting the automation over. I'm surprised Logic doesn't have a better way to deal with multiple automation lanes at once.