Change Channel-Strip Patch with Midi-Controller

stranger86
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi guys,

I use an iMac Retina 4K, 21.5 inch, 2019 and Logic 10.8.1 for my home studio.

I'm new here and first need to find my way around the forum. I've been using Logic for a long time and I'm very familiar with it - but I can't find a solution for the following case. 

I would like to create several (effect) channel strip patches in Logic, which also contain sends and switch them through with my synthesizer (via midi). I have already tried this with Performances and it works well, but without sends. The sends are not taken into account when changing programs.

I have created a software instrument that is structured as follows. I use a software instrument to have the possibility to modulate the effect plug-ins with an LFO. Everything should be in a channel strip so that I can switch through the different configurations.

Channel-Strip from top to bottom:

- Midi-FXs (Modifier)
- External Instrument with synthesizer input 3/4
- Effect chain
- 2 sends
- Output 7/8

Is there a way of switching through patches (as these contain sends) via midi? Or is there another way?

Many thanks in advance.

VG Bastian

The only way to remotely switch Patches is with the key command "Next Patch, Plugin Setting or Sampler Instrument" (and the same for "Previous...")

You can assign these to MIDI messages using the controller assignments.

• Like 1

@oscwilde No, unfortunately I don't have an iPad. I only work with Logic on an iMac or MacBook Pro. 

@des99 So there is only forward and backward, no exact midi position via CC or Program Change?

I think I read that you can combine tracks and auxes into a sum stack and save them as a performance. Is that true?

• Solution
26 minutes ago, stranger86 said:

So there is only forward and backward, no exact midi position via CC or Program Change?

Correct. Logic isn't really intended as a live performance tool, so doesn't offer a lot in terms of realtime Patch switching (unlike Mainstage, which is designed for this.)

27 minutes ago, stranger86 said:

I think I read that you can combine tracks and auxes into a sum stack and save them as a performance. Is that true?

A "Performance" is simply a channel strip setting - one channel strip alone, so it won't do what you want. Sum stacks, multiple channel strips etc all have to be saved as a Patch, and the Channel Strip Performance feature only works with Channel Strips.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My synthesizer has scenes, I want to use these scenes to switch my effect patches. In Logic I have solved this with a few transformers in the midi environment. 
Synthesizers today can be used in many different ways. Sometimes you have to convert their midi signals to be able to do something with them. I think I'll have a look at MainStage, maybe it's good for my purpose.

Edited by stranger86

I'll take another step back. I actually only want to use one track as an audio FX chain for my live synth setup. In other words, I go from my synth out into Logic through an effects chain and to the audio output. This effects chain should also have a send, as I want to use not only inserts but also sends in the chain. 

Switching an auxilary track performance via midi works well with Program Change, but without sends, as these cannot be saved in a performance. 

So I thought I could simply create two of these auxilaries with the same audio inputs and outputs to simulate a send and switch both via a Program Change command. But then Logic only switches one track at a time.

I can't switch both tracks at the same time, even if I come from two different IAC buses. 

I have also tried this with two software instrument tracks and these with two remote midi tracks that contain a midi region and program change commands. The test scenario is the same as David Nahmani uses here

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/topic/142883-changing-channel-strips-with-prog-change-via-iac/

in his Remote-Channels.zip project.

Worked well, but two tracks cannot be switched at the same time. I found out that at least a delay time of >30ms between the program change commands is necessary to switch both tracks. But as I said, not an option for me, because the software instrument tracks do not allow an Audio Input. Yes the external instrument, but...as a midi instrument with external Instrument can be saved as a performance, but cannot be switched via midi.

I have already read some posts about it in the forum and found that the topic is difficult. I need a MIDI environment for my project because I have to transform the incoming MIDI signals before I pass them on to the track. The idea is simple but implementing it in Logic is impossible for me.

Does anyone else know a solution here?