Make a dj mix in Logic Pro X

Nellis

Hi Champs, hope you're all doing well!

Just a quick question if you guys know any good video to explain how to make a dj mix in Logic? Not that much out there. 

Basically the biggest topics are to get the tracks in same consistent tempo, perhaps 1-2 bpm increase during the mix, get the tracks about the same volume and do I need any Glue compression or Limiting on the Master?

I had a go at DJ studio, but it's just a pain cause the tracks don't line up right a lot of times.

Thanks!!!

Well mixmeister doesn't work on my mac. DJ studio keeps alligning the beats wrong and I don't really use Ableton. I got the mix part down now with smart tempo project settings and "Set imported files to: On + allign bars and beats. 

This makes the mixing go smooth now. Just curious what to do with the volume cause all tracks are already close to 0 so if I mix, even with bass swap, the master will clip. Should I put a gain on the Master or put a gain on all tracks and drag them down like 6db and limit the master later on? 

Thanks!!

6 hours ago, Nellis said:

how to make a dj mix in Logic?

As in live mixing?
It's the wrong tool.

If you know how to actually use Logic, creating a fake "offline" DJ mix is a no-brainer, however.

But for what it's worth, I've been using the "djay" app since many years. Works great on Mac, works great on iPad, and heck, I've been even doing small ad hoc DJ jobs with it on my iPhone SE (1st gen) as well.
The iOS/iPad versions can record directly.
The Mac version requires the "pro" subscription for recording, but you can easily record your mixes to Logic via BlackHole.

17 hours ago, Nellis said:

Any suggestions on how much att on the limiter when recompressing the total thing? 

That's an artistic decision, it depends on the tracks you're mixing, how compressed they already are, and what result you want. If the tracks are already well mastered by current standards, then there may be no need to add yet another limiter. 

To get the volumes in the ballpark I would start by normalizing the loudness of the audio regions

23 hours ago, Nellis said:

the biggest topics are to get the tracks in same consistent tempo, perhaps 1-2 bpm increase during the mix

I would bring the tracks in a new empty project in 'Adapt Tempo' mode and make sure Logic detects the tempos accurately (turn on the metronome and make sure you're hearing it in sync with your tracks). Then you can turn on Flex on the track headers, and manipulate your global tempo track as desired (either one straight tempo for the duration of the project, or a slowly rising tempo curve). 

@Nellis LogicPro isn't the best tool for it, since 2 years I am struggling with bpm. For FX it would be awesome just using automation, easy for bass kills and using internal reverbs and delays for transitions.

I asked a lot other DJ performers and they use Ableton for live DJing, live mixes or preparing Sets before a DJ session.

DJ.Studio you mentioned already, would be my go to for preparing sessions, yet I hate (!) the UI and UX. Terrible and I feel anger coming up again 😄