Edit Gtr timing w/o Flex... using “Trim region start to previous region” or slip tool?

paidoperative

Hi!

I'm editing some parts in Logic Pro and I'd like to avoid using Flex for now. I've seen other folks in ProTools use slip-tool editing or an editing style similar to what's shared here: https://www.jameszproductions.com/production-help/how-to-edit-guitar-amp-bass-di-in-logic-pro-x  /

The author of the piece shows that they cut and then use “Trim region start to previous region” and magically LogicPro fills the gap without deadair it seems

image.png.5901e8a6e34fde7bdd7be3e568aa95bd.pngto image.png.101c0c4008e7c3fd21d8b71ed886a921.png

But when I try to do this I just get dead air

image.thumb.png.f4d8f5f0b4941d070d140437c0651fa8.png

to

image.thumb.png.4c28ac5dc5f62ff7a3ed1f199e2eeda3.png

Any advice or tips on how to best edit guitar without flex? Am I missing a setting here? Should I be using the slip tool somehow?

THX!!

The main difference is that you're using a Take Folder and Take Folders don't automatically add to the Comp when you extend their left side like that. Nor can you crossfade Take Folders. You can open the Take Folder and Swipe the beginning of the active Take to the left, but that still may leave an audible click between the Folders.

One good way to accomplish this would be to Flatten the Take Folders without merging so you can still move things around. To do this, left click the Comp indicator, which in your case is the "B" next to "GTR Interlude: Comp C" and click Flatten. Be aware that this will get rid of the Take Folder.

Personally, I would prefer turning all the Take Folders on that track to Track Alternatives at this point for this exact reason. It preserves all your Comps and Takes while allowing you to move, expand, and crossfade individual regions on the Active Track Alternative.

Edited by sunbrother

Update:

I tried a different approach with the Slip Tool that seems to be more promising and what I need:

1. Isolate the region that needs fixing with Scissor tool by cutting end and start

2. Use Slip Tool to adjust

CleanShot2024-04-10at09_13.52_03550a95fa281ce755988d7f145af8a4034693d4fa7c9af5a11e66f3bf02a903.gif.491f8462046953c6953139cf55ed54ae.gif

Wondering if people have any thoughts on improving this approach.... it seems a little safer than Flex and, though slower, maximizes control of the sound...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paidoperative said:

Update:

I tried a different approach with the Slip Tool that seems to be more promising and what I need:

1. Isolate the region that needs fixing with Scissor tool by cutting end and start

2. Use Slip Tool to adjust

CleanShot2024-04-10at09_13.52_03550a95fa281ce755988d7f145af8a4034693d4fa7c9af5a11e66f3bf02a903.gif.491f8462046953c6953139cf55ed54ae.gif

Wondering if people have any thoughts on improving this approach.... it seems a little safer than Flex and, though slower, maximizes control of the sound...

I do it that way with the Slip tool all the time. Flex is powerful and capable but also can be a big headache in some situations, so if I can just slip, nudge, and crossfade regions like this I do.

Improving the approach how? Do you mean to make it faster?

Using Slice at Transient Markers can make this a little faster with some kinds of instruments/playing styles, but it's not always necessary either.