Nested summing stacks in mixer

Harriet
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I'm having trouble understanding what happens in the mixer when I use nested summing stacks. I had understood that, although you can't rearrange channel strips in the mixer directly, you can do it indirectly by creating tracks and rearranging those. But I can't get this to work.

In this test project, "Strings" is the main track of a summing stack. Nested within that stack is another summing stack, of which "Violin 1" is the main track. If I select one of the tracks in that second stack ("SCS Violin 1"), and put the mixer in Single view, the mixer shows "Violin 1" after two auxes ("Hall" and "Mix") which in the tracks list appear at the bottom, instead of between "SCS Violin 1" and "Strings" as I would expect. Is this normal behaviour, and if so what is the reason for it?

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 10.15.50 pm.png

David, thanks. I understand the difference between Single view and Tracks view. What I don’t understand is the order in which the channel strips appear, in Single view.

It would represent the routing if, from left to right, they went SCS Violin 1 > Violin 1 > Strings > Hall > Mix. This order would be helpful.

It would represent the actual order in the Tracks area if it went Strings > Violin 1 > SCS Violin 1 > Hall > Mix. This order would be less helpful, but would at least have some logic.

What I am seeing is SCS violin 1 > Strings > Hall > Mix > Violin 1. As far as I can see, this order seems neither helpful nor logical.

• Solution

Oh ok! Given that you had no other tracks in that project, I thought that maybe that was an oversight. 

So then, just to make it clear...

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

I had understood that, although you can't rearrange channel strips in the mixer directly, you can do it indirectly by creating tracks and rearranging those.

That's the behavior only when you're in Tracks view. 

In Single view, the Aux channel strips are in the order of the Aux numbers, independently of the routing or track order. 

Here's an example where I haven't named the Aux channel strip so you can see the Aux numbers at the bottom of the channel strips: 

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 9.30.49 AM.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

But, if you care what Single view looks like, you have to plan the order in which you create your auxes - right?

Yes, and that's probably a good idea if you're creating a template. Now for auxes created during the creation process, I find it easier to ... stop caring! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1