Move Movie to exact location

HoiBoi
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi guys, is there a way to move a movie start point and it's audio to a specific place in my timeline. I can drag the movie but it snaps while dragging and frames is the smaller interval it's moving by. So getting it to a specific place on the timeline is not happening. Is there a way to have it stop snapping or have it move by smaller increments (quarter frames, samples, etc)?

So I'm trying to align the purple region to the blue region. The movie and its Audio File are represented by the purple region who's SMPTE position displayed ending in "18:57". If I move the movie start position to "18:58" it moves it way too far to the right.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 10.41.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 10.49.26 AM.png

Here's what you do:

1. Position the song position locater at the beginning of the movie file region (look up keycommand "Move to beginning of region").
  2. Copy (double click it in the display) or write down the exact time code.
  3. Place the song position locator at the beginning of your music region.
  4. Open the tempo list.
  5. Create a tempo change at the beginning of your music region.
  6. Select all tempo changes in the list (CMD-A) - very important. All have to be selected.
  7. Double click the time-code for the tempo change you had just created.
  8. Paste or type in the time-code and hit enter.

• Solution
20 hours ago, wonshu said:

Here's what you do:

1. Position the song position locater at the beginning of the movie file region (look up keycommand "Move to beginning of region").
  2. Copy (double click it in the display) or write down the exact time code.
  3. Place the song position locator at the beginning of your music region.
  4. Open the tempo list.
  5. Create a tempo change at the beginning of your music region.
  6. Select all tempo changes in the list (CMD-A) - very important. All have to be selected.
  7. Double click the time-code for the tempo change you had just created.
  8. Paste or type in the time-code and hit enter.

Ok, so that moves the movie file close to the music region however you do not get more precision using that process, you'll stil get the same offset. 

The only way I can think of to position the movie file with more precision would be to create a small tempo buffer zone just before the beginning of the movie (once the movie is already close to where you want it). So once you have a tempo change at the beginning of the music region, zoom in as close as you can to the movie start, and do this: 

1. Position the playhead just before the movie start.
  2. In the Tempo list, create a tempo change.
  3. Adjust the value of that tempo change to position the movie. 

Below I first try to position the movie to show the limits of the position adjustments, then perform my 3 step workflow to move the movie with more precision:

movie-precision.gif

Thanks for all your help guys, I think offsetting the tempo before it the movie starts maybe the best workaround.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:13 AM, DanRad said:

Why don't you just move the movie location to the desired spot in the Project settings > movie position. This gets to the subframe level.  I do this all the time,.

The movie position setting in Project settings gets you very close but it still has the offset. You can do the same effect by getting the hand tool - holding down Option and dragging the movie.

• Like 1