Auto-quantizing Pencil Tool MIDI input?

David-Lunar
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hello. I have set auto-quantize to the value I want in the inspector (quarter note triplets in this case), but when I use the pencil tool to add MIDI notes in the piano editor, I find that they are still being entered according to a division of 16th notes, which is not what I want. (I have also set the snap grid within the piano editor itself to quarter note triplets.) Is auto-quantize only possible when the input is generated by a MIDI controller, but not possible for MIDI input using the pencil tool? (Actually, it is quantizing to the closest 16th note to what *would* be a 1/4 note triplet--but not quantizing to an actual 1/4 note triplet.)

Thanks.

Edited by David-Lunar

Thanks. Do you know if there's any way to enter MIDI notes based on a quarter-note triplet grid using the pencil tool? When I use this tool to enter MIDI notes, they pop to a 16th note grid, even though I have quarter-note triplets selected in the snap grid.

• Solution
4 hours ago, David-Lunar said:

Thanks. Do you know if there's any way to enter MIDI notes based on a quarter-note triplet grid using the pencil tool? When I use this tool to enter MIDI notes, they pop to a 16th note grid, even though I have quarter-note triplets selected in the snap grid.

I just tested entering notes in the Piano Roll with Snap set to 1/4 T and it's buggy unfortunately (the notes are snapping to something, but not to a 1/4 note triplet grid).

The only workaround I can think of is to use the step editor (Window > Open Step Editor). Far from ideal for sure, but at least there, you can set the grid to 1/4 Note triplets, and it works as expected:

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 9.01.59 AM.png

I figured out how to enter 1/4 note triplets in 4/4 with the pencil tool. I just go up to the custom LCD display and change the division setting to "/6". Then I can enter 1/4 note triplets with the pencil tool. When I am done with those, I just change the division setting back to /16 (or whatever), and I'm good to continue. Just thoughts I'd mention this in case anyone else is curious.