CPU maxed as I keep adding plug-ins and tracks

Rolo Tomasi

I'm struggling with keeping things from getting out of control in my compositions. I start with something simple and just keep adding plugins and midi regions and before you know it things start getting unorganized and scattered. By this point my CPU is maxed and I have to start freezing tracks. Am I the only one with this problem? How do I fix it?

Stay organised...

Group tracks according their role I have it like this: Beats, bass, stabs, lead instruments, vocals, Pads, FX, all these categories have their specific track color

Use the Live Loops section as a pace to store ideas "for later in the track"

Throw away what you no longer use,  only add things that add value to your track

Use busses for FX like reverb, delay, distortion.. if those are used to make the sound a bit better (specially in the mixing proces)

Separate the mixing proces from the creating proces, only care about the mixing part when you are happy with the arrangement, use different tracks for the mixing proces and hide the create / arrange tracks so that you stop changing stuff that no longer adds value, remember you were happy.

Accept that good enough is good...  everything has room for improvement, for sure but if you keep trying to find that ast improvement you will never finish something.

• David Nahmani changed the title to CPU maxed as I keep adding plug-ins and tracks

Discipline, better audio station system, learning your technic. The last one is the longest yet best one: you realize you don't need so many plugins, you can create your sound more efficient. Back in the days every track in my session had a compressor. Today only on these tracks they really need. Saves 20 instances of various compressor plugins. See? 😄