Remove Pops & Crackles with Automation

gp71

This is a method I use to iron out these critters when the vocal performance is otherwise great, but there is a low frequency plosive pop on one consonant and a harsh inhale of breath before another.

I thought this might help some folk who are new to this, and are looking for an alternative to plugins or the 'zoom in and draw it out' technique.

The screenshot reveals two lanes of automation.

Both are connected to the inserted Channel EQ (a regular Logic plugin) - look in the EQ's automation menu for the High & Low Frequency Cuts.

Then you just insert three nodes and carve out the offending frequency to taste. Do the bare minimum for them to fit the mix.

If you have loads, just click&drag over the automation nodes and while still holding the click down, press ALT until it goes white and drag the section along to another spot. To copy it onto another track, while the section of automation nodes was coloured white, press CMD+C to copy and then click the next track and move the mouse to the spot where you want to reuse it, and the paste using CMD+V.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 07.29.47.png

• Like 1

Nice description for the standard process everyone should now. Reminds me on cutting tape. ๐Ÿ˜„ย As soon as your hand starts hurting due so many mouse actions you might want prefer sth like a 3rd party plugin from iZotope or anything else. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

18 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

Nice description for the standard process everyone should now. Reminds me on cutting tape. ๐Ÿ˜„ย As soon as your hand starts hurting due so many mouse actions you might want prefer sth like a 3rd party plugin from iZotope or anything else. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Back in the day we could only dream of being able to automate like this, and it would take a team of hands to rehearse and perform just basic dynamics during the final off-line bounce to the ever-deteriorating tape...and the idea of cross-fading would have been called out as madness. My back gives up before my automation hand ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Haha 1