Surround crossfade issue

Hi there,

I am trying to do a crossfade on a surround file. It shows up visually, but the problem is that it only fades out the first region, but it doesn't fade in the second region. The second region pops in at the end of the crossfade. This is of course unexpected behavior... Does anyone know if this is a bug? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 11.01.43.png

Hi Landmeter, try to delete the crossfade plus the curve numbers. Then do it again. I work a lot with crossfades and this happens many times without a reason I know. But this little workaround helps. If not, cut the end and the beginning of each file and bring them together. At least here this works then.

13 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

Hi Landmeter, try to delete the crossfade plus the curve numbers. Then do it again. I work a lot with crossfades and this happens many times without a reason I know. But this little workaround helps.

As far as I understood the OP can even reproduce this in a fresh new project, so this seems to be a different issue?

14 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

If not, cut the end and the beginning of each file and bring them together.

The regions in the screenshot don't overlap, so the OP seems to have done that already (or used No Overlap Drag Mode in the first place)

Hi Hannes and polanoid

There seems to be a problem with the channel count. When I use a regular 5.1 (six channel) file, crossfades work fine. What I am using is an 4-channel ambisonics file. This is apparently causing the problem...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landmeter said:

What I am using is an 4-channel ambisonics file.

That's why I proposed sharing the audio file (or any file this is happening with). As it's reproducible for you you should also report it via Apple's feedback page

3 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

Ah see, ok.

for the 2nd: I do not mean overlapping audio. I mean "cut out some of the meat which might causes the audio engine to produce that bug" - Then bring them together. Then do the crossfade.

The screenshot shows that both regions reference the same audio file, so, no, not a feasible workaround here

6 minutes ago, polanoid said:

The screenshot shows that both regions reference the same audio file, so, no, not a feasible workaround here

Looking at the waveform it could be a voice, then true, no workaround. If it is a atmo, and thinking on surround/ ambisonics, these are often atmos, then it might be a workaround. 🙂

Edited by Sir Hannes

It is a large file so I bounced a portion to a surround PCM. Using this bounce there were no problems with crossfades. So I guess it is a problem with the source files. They were recorded on the Zoom H3-VR