How do you hear the track you are recording on?

Wahlbeck
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Hi there!

I'm a new Logic Pro user and am going insane trying to figure out a problem. I'm recording a vocal, and then I marquee select the area I want to re-record. The moment I hit record, that track stops playing back so I can't hear myself just prior to the part where I'm recording. Coming from Pro Tools, I just would normally click a spot or marquee select, then it would playback my voice up until the point of recording.

But Logic Pro is muting any track the moment I press record on that same track. I feel like I've clicked every button that exists in Logic Pro and still can't find out how to fix this 😅

I'm sure this is a super simple thing. Any ideas?

• Solution

This is totally not super simple in Logic. In fact that workflow doesn't exist at all. So one thing you could do is click on your marquee selection (to split the existing region at the marquee borders), then mute the new region inside the marquee and record on another track.

Another possibility: monitoring during pre-roll seems to work when you start recording anywhere before the auto-punch area, so if you place the playhead a bit - say, a quarter note - before the marquee and make sure "Play From Marquee Selection" isn't checked (long click the play button for that) it should work as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polanoid said:

This is totally not super simple in Logic. In fact that workflow doesn't exist at all. So one thing you could do is click on your marquee selection (to split the existing region at the marquee borders), then mute the new region inside the marquee and record on another track.

Another possibility: monitoring during pre-roll seems to work when you start recording anywhere before the auto-punch area, so if you place the playhead a bit - say, a quarter note - before the marquee and make sure "Play From Marquee Selection" isn't checked (long click the play button for that) it should work as well.

Is there a recommended workflows for Vocalists in Logic Pro? It seems like an important thing to be able to easily hear yourself just before you re-record a line. 

13 hours ago, Wahlbeck said:

Is there a recommended workflows for Vocalists in Logic Pro? It seems like an important thing to be able to easily hear yourself just before you re-record a line. 

did you try the two workflows (or rather workarounds) I described above?

Edited by polanoid

Here's a workaround: 

1. Marquee select the area you want to re-record. 
  2. Press R.
  3. Press the spacebar
  4. Press R.

Silly, but it works. 🙂 

If you perform that workaround quick enough (or use a utility such as Keyboard Maestro to create a macro for it), any Logic user in the room will wonder how you managed to hear your pre-roll when using the Marquee selection to punch in. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Here's a workaround: 

1. Marquee select the area you want to re-record. 
  2. Press R.
  3. Press the spacebar
  4. Press R.

Silly, but it works. 🙂 

If you perform that workaround quick enough (or use a utility such as Keyboard Maestro to create a macro for it), any Logic user in the room will wonder how you managed to hear your pre-roll when using the Marquee selection to punch in. 

That surely doesn't work here, so I wonder which magical settings I need to have active to make that work (my "R" is assigned to "Record" and Space Bar is assigned to "Play or Stop")?

Edited by polanoid

21 minutes ago, polanoid said:

That surely doesn't work here, so I wonder which magical settings I need to have active to make that work (my "R" is assigned to "Record" and Space Bar is assigned to "Play or Stop")?

Same assignment. It should work as long as you have a count-in? 

Basically the first time you press R it turns on Autopunch mode and sets the Autopunch area, and the second time you press R it restarts the recording only this time your playhead is before the Autopunch area so as you said earlier in this thread, in that case it works. 🙂