Logic project with movie locks up only when Macbook Pro uses external monitor

Larry S.
Go to solution Solved by Larry S.,

My Macbook Pro (2021, 14”, M1 Pro) locks up intermittently when I open a Logic (10.8.1) project which has a movie, but only when the computer is connected to an Acer monitor (Acer ConceptD CM3, 27”, 4KUHD, 60 Hz).  A Logic file without a movie doesn’t have problems.  It happens with two Acer monitors (not connected at the same time) which are the same, aforementioned model, each with their own Ultra HDMI, 8K@60Hz, 2 foot cables.  I had the same problem with another HDMI cable which came with one of the monitors, perhaps a 4K cable.  I tried attaching the movies via Logic’s project manager and saving as new files which didn’t make a difference (vs. the computer looking for the movies in a separate folder).  I reinstalled the same, latest OS - Sonoma 14.4.1 and deleted and reinstalled Logic a couple of times - no luck.  I also made a new user, only sharing the Logic project files and movie files from my normal user account, not moving anything else over, which didn’t fix the problem.  Any ideas anyone?  I’m at my wit’s end.

Edited by Larry S.

• Solution

Thanks for your response, oscwilde, but someone on the Facebook Logic users group just gave me the simple fix.  The external display was scaled at 2560x1440, so that text is readable in normal circumstances when I'm simply mirroring from the Mac... but because I'm in extended display mode with the movie on the external display and Logic's mixer on the Mac, I needed to scale the external screen to its native 4K (3840x2160) resolution.  After some reassigning movies and mixers to their correct monitors, I'm ecstatic to say that everything is working perfectly with no crashes!  After hours spent today and yesterday with 5 (!) Apple customer support reps, none of them told me this simple solution, instead having me do all this crazy stuff mentioned in my first post.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Larry S. said:

The external display was scaled at 2560x1440, so that text is readable in normal circumstances when I'm simply mirroring from the Mac... but because I'm in extended display mode with the movie on the external display and Logic's mixer on the Mac, I needed to scale the external screen to its native 4K (3840x2160) resolution.  After some reassigning movies and mixers to their correct monitors, I'm ecstatic to say that everything is working perfectly with no crashes!

Great! Very good to hear. Thank you for letting us know how you resolved it in the end, it could very well help others looking for the same issue in the future. 🙂