Metronome anomaly

NicholasVarley
Go to solution Solved by NicholasVarley,

I recently opened a session from a collaborator and my metronome (klopfgeist) stopped working. That's to say it works but I can't hear it - unless I tick the divisions box. It's so strange and driving me nuts. My current workaround is ticking the divisions but lowering them down to barely audible level. Not ideal. If anyone has any ideas ? trashing preferences maybe ? See attached video and many thanks. N (Macbook Pro M1 Max, Sonoma 14.5, LP 10.8.1)

It's very odd indeed, normally any signal you can see on the Stereo Out meters should be audible. If you connect headphones to your MacBook, can you hear the metronome? 

Can you open your Mixer in "All" view so that you can see the Click channel strip and check that its meters are the ones producing sound (whether you enable or disable the division)?

5 minutes ago, NicholasVarley said:

I don't know if it's important but my collaborator sent me a session which was setup as Dolby Atmos at his place, whereas I only work in stereo. It was after opening his session that things went strange

It could be! Maybe some core audio channels got mixed up in the process. Did you have both sessions open at the same time at some point? 

Have you tried to restart your Mac? 

12 minutes ago, NicholasVarley said:

No we don't work remotely, it's more of a back and forth thing. Yes I have restarted the mac, it's been a while now.

I meant, did you at some point have two projects open at the same time on your Mac?

13 minutes ago, NicholasVarley said:

If I have to get rid of the preferences, do I also need to back up my keyboard shortcuts separately ?

No your custom key commands are part of the preference file. To test this, before you trash preferences, you can create a new user account on your Mac, and see if the metronome behaves there? 

• Solution

Tried a new account and Logic still didn't work correctly which is a warning sign to me. I changed speakers in case it was the sensitivity setting on my Focals. Still the same problem. I think I've tracked it down to my Audient EVO16. For some reason it ignores small transients under a certain volume level. It's not done this before a few weeks before. It may be importing a new session was merely a coincidence with the interface malfunctioning. I've removed the interface and put back my travelling SSL 2+ Everything works as it should. Thanks for your help as ever David.

• Like 1