Audio Interface Keeps Disconnecting

dvitko

I've been struggling with random disconnects and reconnects with my Presonus Quantum 2626 audio interface for over six months now, and it's become quite frustrating. The problem seemed to start out of nowhere, without any major updates or changes to my setup. Initially, I was using an Intel MacBook Pro, and despite working with Sweetwater support, Apple Support, and Presonus support, we couldn't pinpoint the issue. They suggested it might be a hardware problem with the interface itself, so I purchased a brand new Quantum 2626, but the problem persisted even with the new device, despite replacing Thunderbolt cables as well.

To rule out any potential software issues, Apple had me create a new user profile on the operating system and eventually wiped the computer and reinstalled the OS. However, the problem persisted. Eventually, I decided to upgrade to a new MacBook Pro with a Max3 chip and 128 GB of RAM, hoping that would solve the issue. Unfortunately, even with the new hardware, the disconnects continue.

Interestingly, I've noticed that the issue seems to be exacerbated when Logic Pro is installed. When Logic isn't installed, the disconnects occur less frequently, but still occur. I don't have any extra plugins installed, and I'm using the default installation of Logic. Aside from Logic Pro, I only have Final Cut Pro and Microsoft Office installed on my system.

Despite replacing all hardware and performing fresh installs of everything, I'm still unable to resolve the issue. As someone who isn't an expert in Mac or Logic systems, I'm reaching out for help from the community to troubleshoot this problem, as it seems nobody has been able to provide a solution thus far. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

When it disconnects it just drops in Logic and then sometimes it will reconnect sometimes not. But obviously that doesn’t work when you’re trying to record. What audio interface are you using as I’m thinking of jumping ship and going with another product. 

6 hours ago, dvitko said:

What audio interface are you using as I’m thinking of jumping ship and going with another product. 

Kind of a catch-22 with TB interfaces with this sort of I/O...and the cost - if looking at a direct replacement.

I don't know the 2626 facilities, but can it be used as a pre - linked to another interface via ADAT?
If so, something simpler/less expensive might act as a (reliable) bridge.
Really depends on your needs/budget and space/whether or not you want to work like this/add another interface or have an all-in-one solution.