Recorded MIDI at school doesn't play back on my MacBook?

Aaron4
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi guys. I have been working a music piece for a TVC for school work. So I have been recording some Midi using the school project room with a plugin call reason. I got a drum track, and a synth track. I save the logic file and put on my SSD. When I open the file on my own macbook, those midi tracks play no sound. Is there a way I can play them back? Will they work only in my school computer with the right plugin? I am so scared that it lost everything, cause I do not remeber the exact instrument I used... Thanks guys

• David Nahmani changed the title to Recorded MIDI at school doesn't play back on my MacBook?
  • Solution
27 minutes ago, Aaron4 said:

Will they work only in my school computer with the right plugin?

Yes. On your MacBook, on that track's channel strip, you're probably seeing the plug-in as not available. 

The MIDI data is only music performance data (which note, when, how loud etc...) but not audio. It needs to be routed to an instrument (such as a software instrument plug-in) to produce sound. 

If you're seeing the notes in the Piano Roll when you double-click a MIDI region, you haven't lost anything. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes. On your MacBook, on that track's channel strip, you're probably seeing the plug-in as not available. 

The MIDI data is only music performance data (which note, when, how loud etc...) but not audio. It needs to be routed to an instrument (such as a software instrument plug-in) to produce sound. 

If you're seeing the notes in the Piano Roll when you double-click a MIDI region, you haven't lost anything. 

Screenshot2024-04-19at01_00_43.png.a88d3f428a40ff52bfbac16554a83b34.png

Screenshot2024-04-19at01_00_35.png.ae63db65ad96b560c02ed766d0b5cb91.png

Yeah the file look something like this. If I run back to my school computer, they should work right? Also, is it possible that I turn them into audio? so that I can work on them on my own computer.

4 hours ago, Aaron4 said:

Yeah the file look something like this. If I run back to my school computer, they should work right?

Yes. As @David Nahmani explained the Reason instrument is not installed on your system, but is installed on the school Mac.

4 hours ago, Aaron4 said:

Also, is it possible that I turn them into audio? so that I can work on them on my own computer.

Yes, you can bounce the Reason parts as audio and save them with the project, for further work on your Mac.
Note that the work possible will be limited to audio manipulation/processing/mixing - you won't be able to edit notes etc. in the Piano Roll, like you can with MIDI data.

• Like 1