Buy and load older version of Logic to run on Monterey

geratho
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I have a friend who has a 2015 MacBook Pro which can't run an OS higher than Monterey. He wants to buy Logic Pro but Apple is telling him that he must be running Ventura 13.5 or later to get Logic Pro to work. I believe there must be a work around to buy Logic and load an earlier compatible version of Logic Pro but can't find directions about how to do this. Anybody have a solution? At this time buying a new Mac is not an option. Thanks.

In essence, your friend needs someone with a current Mac/MacOS version to make the purchase on their machine (say your Mac) - using your friend's Apple ID credentials.
The purchase is tied to this Apple ID.
Once made, logging in with their Apple ID on "any" Mac (capable of running Logic), will allow them to download the appropriate Logic version for their MacOS.
For Monterey this will be Logic 10.7.9.

See this thread:

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response oscwilde. The thread from last year was helpful as well.
I of course wish that Apple would make this a one step process and automatically detect the highest Logic version that the purchasing device can run. Leaving it up to the general public to choose the right version of Logic to download I guess could get messy.
I'll wait a while to see if anyone else has found a simpler way to do this but I believe that what you suggest will work.  
Thanks again.

• Solution
7 minutes ago, geratho said:

I'll wait a while to see if anyone else has found a simpler way to do this

This is the method we've been recommending here for years. There is no other method.

Apple don't want to let users buy old software, or current software that won't run on their machines for a whole range of customer experience and support reasons. At least while users have to jump through hoops to do this, they get informed about what they are doing in the process, and adjust their expectations accordingly.

As long as you can get access to a more recent machine (which can be tricky in some cases), it's a simple enough matter to log in there, make the purchase, and then go back to your regular machine and download the last available version that works on your system, knowing that you won't get further updates or bugfixes etc.

BTW The method is proven to work... people have been doing it here for years now. It's why we recommend this in all the threads that come up on this (it's a regularly asked question). 👍

• Like 1