Working on multiple Logic instances at the same time

globet
Go to solution Solved by wonshu,

Would like to work on 3 different Logic projects simultaneously.

Opening 3 or even 2 will cause overload and lags the whole system nearing unoperatable levels. Is the lag caused by latency? What's a good way to work on multiple Logic projects at the same time? Would like to avoid importing projects 2 and 3 into project 1 and increasing the project duration. Thanks guys!

Edited by globet

• globet changed the title to Working on multiple Logic instances at the same time

Yes, you can open multiple projects, I did it sometimes for comparison & copy between 2 projects purpose, but you cant realy work this way. It's heavy on the CPU and each time you switch from a project to the other all the instruments have to be reloaded. When you work with orchestral libraries you have the time to admire the beach ball. 😁

I would say the best way could be to have a computer for each project and link them thru ethernet with the Net Receive and Net Send plugins + the Audio/Midi app.

(It works, I did it to create a kind of "Vienna Ensemble Pro" system with sounds and instruments loaded on a remote machine and played from the main one.)

But well, it's not cheap as you need others Macs.

36 minutes ago, globet said:

Would like to work on 3 different Logic projects simultaneously.

Short answer - don't.

Opening 3 or even 2

...may work one or the other time, with the restrictions you found and FLH3 mentioned. But more important is that this is very likely to cause Project corruption. Corruption as in 'f*cked up beyond repair'-corruption. It's a long standing problem and I won't try this until Apple themselves declare it fixed, which they haven't for more than a decade.

However - since this is somehow tied to the audio engine, you can disable Core Audio, open several Projects, do your stuff (compare / copy things, or work on external MIDI tracks), close all but one Project and enable CA again. This may or may not suit your workflow.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 2

• Solution

Yes. Or you have a second computer and open a copy of the project there.

That's what I do sometimes to compare.

And no: that second machine does not load all the instruments or have all the plugins installed that the main machine has, but that doesn't matter to me, in my case most of the time the comparison has to be with automation or edits not the actual sounds...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, globet said:

So the only workable option is to import project 2 and 3 into project 1, increase the project length to accommodate all 3 and work them side by side?

You can also have all 3 projects in the same project but side by side, each one in a folder you can switch off (in this cas the plugins don't load)