Midi Velocity issue

Rivvy

Hello. Here's MY problem. When I'm working with midi, my keyboard stops obeying my established velocity level every time I stop playback and drops down to an inaudible level. So I continually have to use the modulation dial to bring it back up in order to hear as I play. 

The same is true in the piano roll for midi notes that I click on - very low, nearly inaudible velocity until dial up the modulation on my keyboard. Really hard to work this way. 

I do have the midi out button highlighted green, so that's not the problem. 

And if it matters, I'm using Spitfire strings in Kontakt (among other things). Any help appreciated! 

Looks like Logic sends a reset message (Modulation -> 0) at playback stop, so could you try disabling this setting (Settings->MIDI->Reset Messages->External MIDI) image.png.ed6615ed5f6b4b3dd314fe670559d865.png?

Also, you could of course try and change your keyboard's settings so that modulation doesn't affect output volume (which is a bit unusual anyway because usually you would use Expression CC#11 or MIDI Volume CC#7 for that)

• Like 2

Hm. I checked that out and unfortunately the box wasn't checked. None were in fact. Thanks for the suggestion though! 

Not sure where I'd begin with the keyboard settings but I just don't suspect that's the issue since this only happened when I upgraded Logic. 

Velocity shouldn't be affected by your mod wheel at all. What I suspect is happening is a MIDI volume issue - ie, your keyboard is sending MIDI volume events to Logic and it's pulling your channel fader down (or changing the internal volume of an instrument).

Try using Snoize's MIDI monitor to observe the MIDI traffic to Logic when this happens, and see whether your keyboard is sending a CC #7 event or something else.

You can uncheck the preference to allow MIDI CC's to control pan and volume which might help with this case.

If you think this isn't the case, and Logic is doing something *actually* with your velocity events, then start with a brand new project (not from any templates) to make sure you have no MIDI processing going on, and see if it still happens...

Hm. I checked that out and unfortunately the box wasn't checked. None were in fact. Thanks for the suggestion though! 

Not sure where I'd begin with the keyboard settings but I just don't suspect that's the issue since this only happened when I upgraded Logic. 

So either something is sending MIDI to Logic (it's common for instance for controllers to have knobs/sliders/wheels that send spurious data, even when not being touched), or something in Logic is resetting these. What did Snoize tell you - this will show, or rule out whether it's your keyboard sending MIDI to Logic that's doing it...

So I haven't yet tried Snoize (which is new to me), but I did hook up my older keyboard - a simple M Audio Keystation - and the problem persists. I also tried a new (non template) session with the same result.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, no matter what the mod wheel is controlling, whether dynamics of virtual strings or the filter of a synth, it plunges back down to 0 as soon as I stop playback. Hm! So I suppose my original post is a bit misleading. It's not simply dynamic or velocity issue, it's really something to do with the mod wheel signal??

Edited by Rivvy

Posted (edited)

Okay, yes. With Alchemy it's happening on whatever knob the preset has the mod wheel assigned to. For example with the one called "12 String Split" it's happening on the Bass Swing control. I'll record a note while moving the mod wheel. Then when I play it back, it obeys the movement, then dives back down to zero when I hit the space bar. 

Edited by Rivvy