Moving regions from different track instances of a MIDI instrument to one track?

scarletspiral
Go to solution Solved by wonshu,

I finished recording and quantizing the drum part for my piece and need to move regions so I can get rid of excess tracks (for instance, I probably don't need to have 20 different tracks of MIDI drums each with just one section of the song when I could use fewer tracks). I've done this before by hand, which often results in accidentally shifting at least one of the parts away from where it should be in the timeline. Is there a way to move them all at once? Perhaps, a function or a key command? Or, some way with a lesser likelihood of introducing errors?

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Yes, there is a keycommand "Move all regions to selected track" or something like that. The keycommands window has a search field on the top right. Search for "move" or "region" and go through the results. You'll find it.

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 3

In addition to @wonshu's excellent suggestion you might consider using folders/track stacks.
Packing a bunch of tracks into a folder will make things "neat" onscreen....and if you need to make edits or think I "do" need that 21st drum track, you can open the folder and all of the existing regions will be where you remember them being. Once you're done with your changes - close the folder.
The other plus with working this way is that you can copy, mute, or apply things like automation at the folder level - affecting all regions/tracks inside it...so you could fade out all drums, for example, with a single volume automation lane - rather than automating 20 tracks individually.

10 hours ago, scarletspiral said:

often results in accidentally shifting at least one of the parts away from where it should be in the timeline

That you can avoid by enabling this General->Editing setting

image.png.ca1a5cccc26fb67af21db3f96a6e40a8.png

so you will only be able to either drag horizontally or vertically, but never both

17 hours ago, wonshu said:

Yes, there is a keycommand "Move all regions to selected track" or something like that. The keycommands window has a search field on the top right. Search for "move" or "region" and go through the results. You'll find it.

Found it! Under Key Command Assignments “Move to Selected Regions to Focused Track”.

Cool, looks like there’s at least few different ways to apply this: after selecting the track you want to move the regions to press the key command: ^ + shift + T.

It can also be accessed by first selecting the track you’re moving the regions to, then right-clicking on highlighted regions>move>move to focus.

• Like 2