Why is LPX quitting when I try to apply file tempo to project?

flemmings27
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have LPX 10.8.1, and a Mac Studio (Apple M2 Max); 32GB with Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 with 1.63 TB available on it.  

Why is Logic Pro quitting during the analyzing process when I do the following?  = Drag an MP3 into it, thereby creating a new track, and then attempting to apply the region tempo to the project tempo?  It DOES NOT quit when I drag a .wav file into it.  I don't recall that this happened before just last week.  In other words, I thought I've been able to use this process no matter whether it was an MP3 or a .wav.   I've attached an MS word file of the error message I'm getting,  

When I'm attempting it on an MP3, This happens no matter what the Project Tempo Popup menu is set to:

1. If it's set to "Keep Tempo" and I drag the file in, and then right-clicking onto the region and choose"Apply Region Tempo to Project Tempo" then LP will start the analyzing process and then quit. 

2. If it is set either to "Adapt Project Tempo" or "Auto (automatic) Mode" it happens as soon as I drag the MP3 into it.

LP Error Message (Attempted Tempo Change).docx

oscwilde - it is any MP3.  Yes I could convert it to another type of file, but unless my memory is bad - LPX was perfectly capable of adjusting the tempo on Mp3s until just a couple weeks ago when this problem started showing up.  I called Apple support last week, but was on hold forever and never got to speak to anyone about it.

• Solution

I would also try with a PCM file. It's possible that this may have worked with mp3s in the past and it no longer works, however initialy, mp3 files are not designed for production work, only for distribution, so it's best to work with PCM files for production. 

Hi David - thanks.  When I'm producing something, I'm working with production-level files.  It was nice when this feature worked on MP3s b/c I work with co-writers and we're just throwing MP3 worktapes back and forth sometimes, and so if I wanted to quick test whether something might sound better at a different tempo, I could use that function - you could usually only go a few clicks in either direction, but that's all I usually wanted to do.