Mastering with L8

trancefuzion

Hi guys,

I am not an expert in masterization but I have problems since I switched from L7 to L8 with the masterization of my dj set. To resume, I record a dj set of 1h with Soundtrack Pro, normalize it to -0.3 DB. At this step, if I compare to other dj sets made by others well-known djs, I can say that the sound is comparable, good bass, sound is clear...

Now, I import it to Logic 8, add a speech, 2-3 little voice effects, and bounce the final in mp3 320kbps.

The bounced file is awful. The sound now misses bass, the volume is lower than before and the sound quality is not really good.

Note : I always start Logic 8 with blank project. The master and the DJ set Track have no effect & process on it.

I guess that bouncing each track and reimporting them at the right place without effect will help to get a better sound, but...

Do you have tips for me to help me with the masterization? Is there any concept that I should learn to get a proper sound in Logic?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by trancefuzion

Hi guys,

I am not an expert in masterization but I have problems since I switched from L7 to L8 with the masterization of my dj set. To resume, I record a dj set of 1h with Soundtrack Pro, normalize it to -0.3 DB. At this step, if I compare to other dj sets made by others well-known djs, I can say that the sound is comparable, good bass, sound is clear...

Now, I import it to Logic 8, add a speech, 2-3 little voice effects, and bounce the final in mp3 320kbps.

The bounced file is awful. The sound now misses bass, the volume is lower than before and the sound quality is not really good.

Note : I always start Logic 8 with blank project. The master and the DJ set Track have no effect & process on it.

I guess that bouncing each track and reimporting them at the right place without effect will help to get a better sound, but...

Do you have tips for me to help me with the masterization? Is there any concept that I should learn to get a proper sound in Logic?

Thanks a lot!

I think the lack in bass you speak of comes because its bounced down to mp3. bounce to aiff or wav and see if you notice the difference

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!

did you take the "normalize" option off when bouncing?

do a AIFF and MP3 bounce and see if there a difference like stated above.

its should be a clear and cut process so maybe your mp3 setting are very low in bit rate or something.

Sorry guys for confusion, I was talking about mastering yess... :)

My bitrate in mp3 is 320 kbps. I bounced the mp3 only and not the pcm before or at the same time. I though that Logic created a temporary wave but maybe not in L8... does somebody know that?

I will create a wave first like you recommand and give you feedback when it'll be done.

Thanks! :)

If you only tick MP3, it *will* create an AIFF, but will automatically delete it after it's converted the file to MP3. Select both PCM *and* MP3 to keep the AIFF file for testing...

320kbps really should sound fine! It does depend on the speakers though. Might not sound as good on a heavy club sound system with loads of subs.

What's that? Don't worry, I am not using that. I just use quicktime and compare it to another dj set that I have from another dj. After the soundtrack export, my wav file was sounding like the 320 kbps file from the other dj...

What is the behavior of Logic if it clips when he's bouncing? Is it possible to get any digital distorsion? or less bass? volume lower a bit?

The sound is not awful but just not as good as he was after the export of Soundtrack pro....