PPC G4 Logic 8

shambles

Yes, you should be okay. I have a ppc g4 dual 1 ghz with 2 gigs ram and I'm running logic studio, granted my computer is hanging on by a thread. Though you're in slightly better shape than I am, don't expect to run a lot of tracks (midi or audio) and plugins all at once.

I can't wait to get one of the new intel macs that are expected to come out soon!

Hiya,

I'm running Logic 8 on a G4 PowerBook with a 1.33Ghz processor and still on 768Mb of RAM and performance isn't that different to Logic 7 . . . . .

But, I do keep on meaning to take the ram up 1.25gb soon, too!

Cheers,

Madoc.

P.S. Nuts - I'd forgotten that all of the information was already in my signature! :oops:

Gee, its a shame the old dual G4's are dying out. The Intel machines are simply in another class.

I still have a dual 867 G4 that can run as my Pro Tools rig backup in case of failure, but only PT 6.9.3.

So I can still record and mix new projects, but it can't run any current projects done in PT 7.3 So its only a half-assed safety net if the G5 falls over. There's no way it could run LP8 comfortably, especially after experiencing the brute force of the new Intel Macs.

Geez, I thought the dual G4 would always have enough grunt to keep it's head above water, but since I started using an Intel I've realized that the G5 is also doomed and has had a very short lifespan by comparison.

I never thought an iMac would ever out-perform a Dual G4/G5 PCI tower...

Who'd a thunk??

I'm right there with you. I have an 867 G4 just sitting around collecting dust. I feel a bit guilty about this because I'd like to use it for something, but I'm not sure I can even install OS X on it (its currently got OS 9).

Any ideas on what to do with it?

Yeah, I used to do that stuff with my old computers. I'd install Gentoo, Fedora, FreeBSD, whatever. I even bought an old Sun Ultra 5 so i could run Solaris a few years back. The problem is that i found myself jacking with the machines way too much, and I got tired of it. Better to spend my time making music. :)

Archived