is * 8 * better?

gschmitt

i want you guys to weigh in. i'm a LOGIC noob and i'm getting the feeling that alot of the people in this forum who have some experience with LOGIC and its earlier versions have a fonder opinion of those earlier versions over v.8. now, i know this ALWAYS happens when new versions of old software come out, but i DEFINITELY want to hear the arguments.

thanks!

my .02...if you're a total Logic noob..I'd recommend 8. Learn the 'new' workflow. By the time your ready for the 'deeper' aspects of Logic, there should be some updates ready to roll.

I've already walked a few noobs thru it (mostly PC Cubase converts). It's nice to see them up and running a lot faster now. Keep an eye on this forum for the 'gotcha's", but, otherwise....go for it. No turning back :)

It is.

Much has been said about the differences 7/8, and partially it's a matter of taste which one you like better.

Some points to me: Creating new tracks with software instruments is much easier now. Creating additional outputs for multichannel instruments as well. The IIR reverbs like Silververb sound better now. Comping is fun (as far as it's not buggy... That will be fixed.).

Yes, 8 is better.

Yeah, DKGross has it right on with regard to the workflow changes being aimed at people new to the program. One of the knocks on Logic has always been that there's a steep learning curve. Logic 8 has gone a very long way towards fixing that.

There is plenty of disagreement out there on your question, I'm sure. But keep in mind that much of it deals with people who are used to old workflows and feel like the changes introduced in Logic 8 screw with that. However, some have changed their tune (and I imagine most will) once they get used to the new ways of doing things.

As for actual performance, most of the bugs reported on the various forums have had to do with NEW functunality, with things that have been added to the program, and so weren't there to go wrong with Logic 7.

There have been overload messages for a number of people, particularly when dealing with multi-sampled software instruments on first starting up. But this is not a new thing, and many of us have found that this happens significantly less in Logic 8 than it did in Logic 7.

My experience has been that Logic 8 is more attractive, more intuitive, more stable, slightly more CPU efficient, with some new features that aren't perfect yet but are exciting and have their uses, and an extraordinarily, overwhelmingly incredible bundle of music-making tools for so little money. Literally twice as much useful stuff for half the money. 8)

. . . mostly PC Cubase converts) . . . .
i didn't know i was so commonplace. (converting from Cubase SX-1 on a PC.) do you train in puerto rico? :lol:

I'm pretty sure that if a plane ticket appeared in my mailbox, I could find a way to take a week off to hang in PR. Especially in February :)

. . . mostly PC Cubase converts) . . . .
i didn't know i was so commonplace. (converting from Cubase SX-1 on a PC.) do you train in puerto rico? :lol:

I'm pretty sure that if a plane ticket appeared in my mailbox, I could find a way to take a week off to hang in PR. Especially in February :)

hehehe. i'll buy the lottery ticket now. :)

yeah, the way the guy at sweetwater explained it to me was LOGIC used to be a tweaker's dream, but the learning curve was STEEP, so they shifted focus a bit from one end of that spectrum.

I Like 8 better. the older versions were good but 8 has a better work flow. much more visual. I really love the Media window! when I first saw it I thought Apple was trying to make LP8 more like Garageband, but now that I have been using it a while I don't know how I ever worked without it. It really speeds this up. before it auditioning Logic instruments was a pain, searching trough menus and such. now it's all there in front of you. Having the browser right there on your window makes finding non apple loops that are on your drive a breeze too. The List window is great too. I use the event list and the marker list all the time and it is real handy to have them right there.

Using Multi out instruments and routing to busses and aux.'s is much improved in LP8 and I love the fact that you don't have to clutter up the arrange window with them any more just to have them in the mixer. The new one window system is great for guys who have limited screen real estate and the fact that you can still open everything in it's own window is great for us that have more than one screen.

For a new user it is perfect to start with 8. since you have no experience with the older version, and 8 has a much better work flow than previous versions

I think what I really like the most about 8 is NOT having to screw with the environment at first. But knowing it's there (and can still do all the cool things it does), is great.

and yes..the Aux/Multi-timbral/multi output simplifacation is a godsend.

AND..being able to send the output of a bus to the input of an audio track :) ah..it's the simple things..

:)

I started with a very basic version of v4.8 that was bundled with various M Audio

interfaces a few years back. It did the job well for me for just throwing down parts for either audio or midi. It was limited but I was new to all of this stuff anyway

so i knew how to just get around and make demos. Even after getting my first

Mac and Logic Express 7.2, I never really learned a lot of the quicker editing tasks

and key commands etc.

I guess for me, even though I had some form of Logic around for years now

I kind of lucked out in that I really didn't have a proper workflow established

to begin with. Now that I've made the huge jump to Logic Studio the timing

was right, I can now learn the program as if I'm a 'newbie' just discovering.

Now, I'm learning the proper Key commands,and I can say that Logic 8

is indeed a powerful application(even with .0 release bugs)and I can

surely say that Logic Pro 8 is THE main music production app for me.

Having waited to go with the pro version until now was the best move

I ever made.

Now we just need Apple to get some updates going!!

For me, the answer is yes. The above posts have said almost everything I would have said.

I enjoy the overall experience of making music in Logic8 more.

I think the organization presents the options without throwing you into option shock.

Up-front, the focus facilitates a relatively easy transition into the process of making music with computer. The manual is that thick, and the books are written because of depth, not necessarily difficulty.

That's where the 10 hour sessions come from. 8)

Im brand new to L8 - moved from Ableton Live

I have now learnt how to do everything that I could do in live

(bar Live performance - Ill stick to ableton for that because I shelled out for both.)

The first thing I have noticed about Logic is the rhythm and groove you can get from Logics Timing. the quantising just has so much natural rhythm to it - its subtle - but i have never experienced anything like it on any other DAW.

Note to Score is just brilliant. Hyper editor as well. Ultrabeat is supurb.

The EQ's Compressors and effects all make me want to be a better man.

and the GUI.... had me at 'hello'

But the main diffrence is that Im able to implement my ideas and concepts for tunes and have them end up like I first concieved them

Before, I have an idea and it developed into something slightly different - but I always seem to achive exactly what i want with L8

Happy camper

i want you guys to weigh in. i'm a LOGIC noob and i'm getting the feeling that alot of the people in this forum who have some experience with LOGIC and its earlier versions have a fonder opinion of those earlier versions over v.8. now, i know this ALWAYS happens when new versions of old software come out, but i DEFINITELY want to hear the arguments.

thanks!

logic 8 was made to simplify logic for new users. so yes, logic 8 is for you

thanks!

Right. But, as DKGross said, all of that nice complexity is still there under the hood for those who want it. Newbies and environmnent-phobes are just no longer forced to deal with it up front. 8)

thanks!

Right. But, as DKGross said, all of that nice complexity is still there under the hood for those who want it. Newbies and environmnent-phobes are just no longer forced to deal with it up front. 8)

yes, but for a noobie coming to logic 8, they will be learning the "NEW" logic workflow, whereas someone using logic for years would have to change their work flow on logic 8.

logic 8 for me at least, is a downgrade. I like being able to 100 back-up songs, fully customize my arange window, and do others things since lost in logic 8.

but for a noobie, logic 8 is a god send

thanks!

yes, but for a noobie coming to logic 8, they will be learning the "NEW" logic workflow, whereas someone using logic for years would have to change their work flow on logic 8.

logic 8 for me at least, is a downgrade. I like being able to 100 back-up songs, fully customize my arange window, and do others things since lost in logic 8.

but for a noobie, logic 8 is a god send

(mostly PC Cubase converts)

*raises hand* :)

:) Now..if I can just get a few stubborn DP friends to jump ship.....

8)

Man, I can't even put into words how much better Logic is for me and what I do. I make electronic music (Trance, Progressive & House) and the internal instruments are just unbelievable. Funny thing is, i have a ton of hardware (6 synths) and I find myself using the built in AU instruments over my hardware for this most recent track. Granted I have only had the thing for about 3 weeks, but i have already made more progress in 2 weeks than I would have in 2 months using Cubase on a PC. I tink I'll be able to finish this latest track in record time because Logic makes things SO easy for me. I don't have to do as much fiddling around.

Logic just has that "sound" that I have been looking for. Every new plugin I try out (and there are a LOT to get used to), just sounds fantastic and adds that missing element to my music that I have spent a LONG time searching for. I used to listen to tracks and think "jeez, how the hell did they do THAT?"), but what I'm starting to see is that a lot of these complex timbres that I keep hearing in Electronic music are really not all that difficult to create when you use Logic's instruments and effects in the right way.

Its been hard for me not to go on my producer forums and just post a message saying "hey guys, I know you are spending all this time and money trying to get that sound you are looking for, but do yourself a favor and pick up Logic and you won't have to work so damn hard!". Of course all I'd get would be "hey, you can do anything in any DAW". This statement is definitely true, but what they may not know is how easy Logic makes things, especially if you go into using it with some experience in how to make tracks.

Call me converted for life, hehe.

I hear you. A lot of long-time, Logic-is-my-third-hand users have been saying they feel this way. As much as it sucks to have to change, I imagine there's going to be no way around it at some point. :( But I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the workflow changes are ultimately more efficient ways of doing things, so it will be better at the end of the day. But that doesn't make it suck any less for you for the time being.

You do know that you can customise the Arrange window..?

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=327698#327698

How to remove the transport bar:

"go into the keycommands-window and search for "open trash". then assign 'shift + ^' for this function, and try it ..

you can even save it as a screenset."

I was a very big fan of the customization that Logic introduced well before it became Logic Audio etc.

Screensets, keystrokes etc. Everything could be exactly how I wanted or was used to ( coming from Notator ).

In the end I found myself lost in my own unique way of doing things and unable to use any other templates or, heaven forbid, someone else's gear. Even my transport keys were reversed etc... :shock:

I disappeared up my own customized ass. With 7.2 I started to return my keystrokes closer to the defaults, until with LP8, I abandoned my own keystrokes altogether.

I agree with everything above regarding the templates, reverb sonics, software instruments etc in LP8. I do work faster now with defaults than I ever did with my customized ass.

I had no need to use this forum for a loooong time when I used the old version of Logic. I started hanging here when I got my Mackie Control and wanted feedback on LP8 before I TOOK THE PLUNGE.

My experience has been this...

More users with problems seem to frequent this forum, than the users without. Users with problems seem to sh1tc4n the very source code that sits under Logic and are outraged at it's inadequacies and demand retribution.

Guys who don't have any/many problems or issues seem to annoy these guys?!? Wtf?

Most of this negative crap kept me from installing LP8 until I realized that there are a lot of happy campers using this great, new breath of fresh air too busy to log in and say so!

I am an eMagic old school guy thru & thru and LP8 is really what Logic should have been in the first place. Cheaper, easier, faster and more reliable. Yes, more reliable.

Come on. 8.0? Once the zero fades away it will just get better and better. Those guys should just use 7.3 until 8.3 and stop the whining.

Me likey!

:D

I hear you. A lot of long-time, Logic-is-my-third-hand users have been saying they feel this way. As much as it sucks to have to change, I imagine there's going to be no way around it at some point. :( But I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the workflow changes are ultimately more efficient ways of doing things, so it will be better at the end of the day. But that doesn't make it suck any less for you for the time being.

yes but apple show have the option of a classic view for logic.

Also, in leopard, I hear the new stack feature is annoying, with no way to go back to the old tiger way. Is is really THAT hard to put the feature in and a t least give us the option of customizing os x and logic like we have been doing for the past 5 to 10 years?

All this and your paying money for frustrations. It might be effect for SOME but not ALL.

a person coming from a PC to leopard and logic, its a whole new world and experience. But for long time os x and logic users, these new features might seem like a pet peeve

there really is no better, there is no best, its all a matter of what works for you and what works the fastest