Need UAD-1 advice... Latency introduced? full PDC?

Eric Wikman

I am selling my old PCI UAD-1.. and I want to buy a new PCI-e UAD.. for my new MP-Octo.

I'm trying to find out if I will experience ANY latency introduced when using any of the UAD plugins?

I've seen/read lots of post about this over the past year, but I'm still not 100% clear.

I switched over to Logic about a year ago.. and on my G5, I could not figure out when Logic would NOT compensate fully, when adding UAD plugs.

So, while I was learning Logic 7... I pretty much stopped using my UAD.

Cubase has had FULL PDC for quite a while now. I got spoiled.

Is there a definitive answer for this yet?

I don't want to deal with it, if it is not bullet proof yet.

I have not been able to find my answer yet.

"....And I still... haven't found... what I'm looking for..." (U2)

Thanks for your help.

I have a UAD-1 PCIe and have not experienced any noticable latency at all.

thanks...

Are you a "heavy user"?

Did you use Logic 7.2 at all with your UAD?

Because, I mostly had no problems, but then suddenly when I inserted something, that track would be out of time/late.

I could not figure out what the tipping point was.

Even when I removed the plugin.. Logic would not seem to go back to how it was.

As I said, I just started playing more with Logic's Plugins at the time.

heavy user here. No problems here that couldn't be corrected with stop/play... I do have some overload issues here that can mostly be solved by switching the plugs off and on on the uad system meter. I had to restart logic on a couple of occasions to free the cpu form its mysterious burden.

I am selling my old PCI UAD-1.. and I want to buy a new PCI-e UAD.. for my new MP-Octo.

I'm trying to find out if I will experience ANY latency introduced when using any of the UAD plugins?

I've seen/read lots of post about this over the past year, but I'm still not 100% clear.

I switched over to Logic about a year ago.. and on my G5, I could not figure out when Logic would NOT compensate fully, when adding UAD plugs.

So, while I was learning Logic 7... I pretty much stopped using my UAD.

Cubase has had FULL PDC for quite a while now. I got spoiled.

Is there a definitive answer for this yet?

I don't want to deal with it, if it is not bullet proof yet.

I have not been able to find my answer yet.

"....And I still... haven't found... what I'm looking for..." (U2)

Thanks for your help.

I have no problems using UAD-1 plug-ins with my 2 cards in Logic 8. The PDC is much improved.

That said, little is "bullet-proof" is L8 yet but I am confident a bug fix update will happen soon.

I have a UAD-1 PCIe and have not experienced any noticable latency at all.

thanks...

Are you a "heavy user"?

It depends on how you definte "heavy user" I use it a lot and frequently max out the card.

Did you use Logic 7.2 at all with your UAD?

Nope, Logic 8 only.

Because, I mostly had no problems, but then suddenly when I inserted something, that track would be out of time/late.

I could not figure out what the tipping point was.

Even when I removed the plugin.. Logic would not seem to go back to how it was.

As I said, I just started playing more with Logic's Plugins at the time.

The only time I have seen weirdness is if I insert a plugin in realtime, sometimes the plugin would not be in sync, but a simple stop/start solves this problem. I do not think it is a UAD problem because I have seen the same behavior with Logic built in plugins.

Thanks.

This all seems to be good news for me upgrading then.

Looks like Logic 8 has fixed what I was reffering to.

After reading many posts, it would seem that midi timing of external midi might be one of the only issues still.

I never do this any longer, so this is not a problem for me.

I did use stop/start to get Logic 7.2 to play catch up, and fix the temp latency after inserting while in playback..., but that is not an issue.

Jay.. thanks for your help once again.

Eric J.. nice music on your site.

I find that when I use UAD-1 plugs on the output bus when working to picture, it throws the audio out of sync with the picture. This doesn't seem to happen when using non UAD-1 plugs.

L8, G5 2x2GHz

HTH,

john

John, I just added a Precision EQ an Precision Limiter on my bounce output and it has not changed the picture/audio at all.

Do you have the PDC set to All?

I find that when I use UAD-1 plugs on the output bus when working to picture, it throws the audio out of sync with the picture. This doesn't seem to happen when using non UAD-1 plugs.

L8, G5 2x2GHz

HTH,

john

John, I just added a Precision EQ an Precision Limiter on my bounce output and it has not changed the picture/audio at all.

Do you have the PDC set to All?

err, no more posting for John b4 coffee. Actually, I thought I had tested this in L8, but apparently not. thanks for setting me straight Jay. Best part, now I can use the Precision Limiter again.

Come to think of it, maybe I did test it in a L7>L8 file...doesn't matter tho. In the words of Emily Littela: "Nevermind".

carry on.

john