Feedback on hardrock song

burley

Thanks for the replies!

I'm always scared to use too much reverb on the vocals. I tried a lot to fatten them up. Parallel compression, doubling the vocal tracks... (The singer can't sing the vocals the same twice, so I double the track and delayed it a few ms. )

:roll:

• 1 month later...

I really liked the song and the recording.

no doubt the vocals need more work though. they sound pretty dry.

the drums and bass are sitting right in place.

the guitar could sound a little more interesting, maybe i would try adding some fx on the guitar track.

but all together a nice mix!

Johnny from guitars101

Yup, sounds decent to me. The vocal doesn't need to be as present as it is. You got great instrument backing. I'd suggest a harmony for the intro lead? Also, for vocal presence and width, you could always try the 11ms trick. Basically, set your delay at 11ms (not any other ms, for some reason, 10 and 12 ms don't do the trick) and add it to the vocals or any other instrument you want to fatten up. :) I've used it on some of our recordings and it usually adds the effect we need.

I like the kick and snare too. Burley, fancy sharing your AD settings? You can just save it as one file and post it here or at the XLN forum!

I also really like the tone on the vocal at the very end - I've found it's hard to get a tone that's just on the verge of crumbling like that. Are you using an amp sim or just EQ?

Thanks for the feedback and the input, guys!

bresnark, in fact I downloaded an existing AD Setting here:

http://www.xlnaudio.com/index.php?page=userarea&u_page=user_downloads

It's called Metal preset. I just tweaked it a little. Some subtle eq changes. Rolled off some highs on the master and switched off the fx on everything but the Toms. I also reduced the room amount of some of the kit pieces. But basically I didn't change the preset very much. (Note that I also "self-mastered" the song with Ozone which gave the drums an additional punch.)

For the vocals at the end I was looking for a phone-like fx. I just swept through the frequencies (with quite a gain on the band) until it was really sounding awful. As far as I can remember I ended at around 2khz.

Cheers!