45 Logic 8 Fixes, improvements and better workflows

Eric Wikman

Logic 8: Fixes, improvements and better workflow

This list was just for me, as I explore, but someone asked that I post it.

I grabbed many of these from other posts.

MANY of these need a description to make some sense, and MANY deserve more just a mention here.

MANY of these were things I had issue with when I switched a year ago.

I may be wrong about some.

Feel free to add.

1. Scissors - don't have to select the region first ....and snappier.

2. ReWire setup! = a breeze

3. Fades (limit WAS about 10 seconds) now we can do long fades

4. sample-accurate audio editing (ARR)

5. new all-in-one window = nice

6. more Contextual Menus = nice!

7. Delay Designer = great!

8. More CST & Presets = inspiration

9. Command+Click on any Undo step, and get prompted with a dialogue.

10. Using templates instead of an autoload.

11. The Binaural panner.

12. Printing to audio tracks/record a bus on an audio track!!

13. new Compressor settings / Circuit types

14. Dual channel strips in Arrange.

15. Automatic Aux channel strip creation.

16. One touch track creation in Arrange.

17. Improved Marker creation in Arrange.

18. Comping / takes!

19. Library / File Browser

20. new marquee tool function with the arrow keys....snapping to transient.

21. L8 no longer enables Cycle by clicking in the upper half of the bar ruler (outside the loop)

22. CAF format = goodbye time limit

23. when you click to send to a Bus it puts the name of the bus in brackets beside the number

24. tweak your cycle points by dragging them?

25. new checkbox "select regions when selecting track".. or not

26. change an automation curve while the song is playing, the result is instantly audible,

27. snap automation

28. drag audio regions directly from the arrange into the EXS24 editor

29. marque stripe (available by clicking the note on the right edge the top bar/time display. Allows you to simply and quickly make marque selections without changing your tool. then use left and right (and shift left and right arrows to snap or tab to transients within your selection.)

30. initiating a plugin while several channelstrips are selected will initiate that plug on every selected strip

31. Compare button for plug-ins

32. Drag files to track.. create new tracks.

33. GUI look!

34. marquee-punching

35. Absolute snap mode

36. Dragging in Apple Loops with the SMPTE showing in the time-line fixed. (Used to drop off the snap.)

37. Ultrabeat full grid view

38. SOLO = faster setting.. i like!

39. View Nudge amount! cool

40. There was a bug in the Audio Window, when I would want to export 200 new regions as files, it would tell me the wrong size needed on the first try. ("Not enough space... 55 gigs needed".) i think this is fixed.

41. Seems like it takes much less time for a buffer size change to take effect.

42. New Track with complete duplicate settings.

43. Audio Bin = you can now select, scroll down, and shift +click. (7.2 had to drag, and drag , and drag. Shift did something else). (I export a lot of regions at time).

44. Software Instrument = create item from preset browse.. ala Reason

45. Got rid of Project Manager.

Logic 8: Fixes, improvements and better workflow

This list was just for me, as I explore, but someone asked that I post it.

I grabbed many of these from other posts.

MANY of these need a description to make some sense, and MANY deserve more just a mention here.

MANY of these were things I had issue with when I switched a year ago.

I may be wrong about some.

Feel free to add.

1. Scissors - don't have to select the region first ....and snappier.

2. ReWire setup! = a breeze

3. Fades (limit WAS about 10 seconds) now we can do long fades

4. sample-accurate audio editing (ARR)

5. new all-in-one window = nice

6. more Contextual Menus = nice!

7. Delay Designer = great!

8. More CST & Presets = inspiration

9. Command+Click on any Undo step, and get prompted with a dialogue.

10. Using templates instead of an autoload.

11. The Binaural panner.

12. Printing to audio tracks/record a bus on an audio track!!

13. new Compressor settings / Circuit types

14. Dual channel strips in Arrange.

15. Automatic Aux channel strip creation.

16. One touch track creation in Arrange.

17. Improved Marker creation in Arrange.

18. Comping / takes!

19. Library / File Browser

20. new marquee tool function with the arrow keys....snapping to transient.

21. L8 no longer enables Cycle by clicking in the upper half of the bar ruler (outside the loop)

22. CAF format = goodbye time limit

23. when you click to send to a Bus it puts the name of the bus in brackets beside the number

24. tweak your cycle points by dragging them?

25. new checkbox "select regions when selecting track".. or not

26. change an automation curve while the song is playing, the result is instantly audible,

27. snap automation

28. drag audio regions directly from the arrange into the EXS24 editor

29. marque stripe (available by clicking the note on the right edge the top bar/time display. Allows you to simply and quickly make marque selections without changing your tool. then use left and right (and shift left and right arrows to snap or tab to transients within your selection.)

30. initiating a plugin while several channelstrips are selected will initiate that plug on every selected strip

31. Compare button for plug-ins

32. Drag files to track.. create new tracks.

33. GUI look!

34. marquee-punching

35. Absolute snap mode

36. Dragging in Apple Loops with the SMPTE showing in the time-line fixed. (Used to drop off the snap.)

37. Ultrabeat full grid view

38. SOLO = faster setting.. i like!

39. View Nudge amount! cool

40. There was a bug in the Audio Window, when I would want to export 200 new regions as files, it would tell me the wrong size needed on the first try. ("Not enough space... 55 gigs needed".) i think this is fixed.

41. Seems like it takes much less time for a buffer size change to take effect.

42. New Track with complete duplicate settings.

43. Audio Bin = you can now select, scroll down, and shift +click. (7.2 had to drag, and drag , and drag. Shift did something else). (I export a lot of regions at time).

44. Software Instrument = create item from preset browse.. ala Reason

45. Got rid of Project Manager.

46. more core audio overloads....

:roll:

Thanks Deepswing.

I thought this was going to be another negative swipe of impatience from the outraged individuals who carry on about any bugs like they were intentional...

I'm with you pal... it's all good.

I don't give a rat's sphincter about the bugs. I applaud all the good stuff. The bugs will go away and whatever doesn't go away I will simply work around, because there isn't any other software that's good enough to drag me away. As an audio engineer it was/is always your job to work around anything to get the job done.

And sure, when the time comes I will gladly abandon Logic for something better. I just wish a few people here would simply move on instead of trying to convince everyone else how unacceptable this latest offering is. Please...

It's a wonder no one has complained that the box it came in is black and not red or blue?!!?

ZZZzzzz...

:D

marquee stripe in top bar able to shift to transients.....now that's cool

living in another country...the manual was too big to send and the onscreen one is a pain to read, so i'm sure i'm missing out on so many more cool things like this

have no work at the moment so i guess i should bring it up on adobe and work through bit by bit

as for longer fades....now i can use 10 minute fade-ins ala BT...cool

and the box colour ??????!!!!!! don't get me started

Logic's user manual is quite the tome. I've been plowing through it steadily, and due to its searchability, I've come to prefer the electronic one. I'm also making a point to do everything it presents at least once. Should help me retain it. Light reading it ain't.

I've used LP8 to create several pretty complex projects, and felt pretty good about it. Poking around on these boards, however, has impressed me with how much I don't yet know about Logic. Some informed folks here, and some enlightening discussions.

And I'm glad we've finally broached the box-color thing; that was long overdue. No one has dared mention, however, that Final Cut Studio comes in virtually identical packaging. I smell a conspiracy.

musiciainista,

I don't know what you're talking about. For all intents and purposes, the bugs in Logic are intentional. Otherwise they wouldn't be there. Think about it...

deepswing,

I like the "hide all plugins" function too (still trying to incorporate it into my workflow, but I'm glad it's there). However, I sorely miss is the ability to close plugin windows with a key command.

I'm also glad that they got rid of the Project Mangler.

One thing from your list is something I wasn't aware of:

12. Printing to audio tracks/record a bus on an audio track

Gonna RTFM on that one!

Im not, project manager was a GOD SEND feature when introduced.

Does anyone remember how hard life was before the project manager? why would anyone be happy that its gone?!

mind boggling if you ask me!

48. Only 10 save back-ups (although there is a hack to bring back 100 backs-ups)

12. Printing to audio tracks/record a bus on an audio track

Gonna RTFM on that one!

Wow, I'm shocked you missed that one ski, it's huge! BTW, the official, (ahem) "pro" parlance for this function is "internal layback", doncha know.

and the box colour ??????!!!!!! don't get me started

Ah, the box color is a subliminal message to encourage you to move away from outboard analog gear. Ya'know, replace your "black boxes" with alternative "black boxes".

I like'em. They're giving my software shelf that "goth" look!

Does anyone remember how hard life was before the project manager? why would anyone be happy that its gone?!

I remember how much easier life was before the buggy and redundant features of PM was introduced (redundant insofar as EXS sample management was concerned). When trying to do things "by the book" and setting up the PM, it wouldn't resolve supposedly missing EXS files, never was able to associate my movie files with my songs, etc. Attempting to use it was one of the more memorable time-wasting, doesn't-work-as-described wild goose chases I've had with L7. Days... days of wasted time and effort, hence the moniker "project mangler".

So there it is. Not so mind boggling at all. Just a different experience from yours.

Wow, I'm shocked you missed that one ski, it's huge! BTW, the official, (ahem) "pro" parlance for this function is "internal layback", doncha know.

Oh, don't be that shocked. Heck, I'm not surprised LOL!

Here, I'll join in the parade...

• ability to see the tools assigned to CMD and right-click in each window, with these assigments actually saved with the song! (bloody well about time)

• much tighter movie file playback (could be an OSX update thing and not a Logic thing, but anyway, it's better)

• key command window that actually works most of the time

• fixed a bug where selecting a track in the arrange window wouldn't cause the environment/mixer page (when linked) to switch to the right layer

• fixed a bug where 2-clicking the output assignment on an audio object wouldn't always take you to the corresponding display of busses in the environment/mixer page

I remember how much easier life was before the buggy and redundant features of PM was introduced (redundant insofar as EXS sample management was concerned). When trying to do things "by the book" and setting up the PM, it wouldn't resolve supposedly missing EXS files, never was able to associate my movie files with my songs, etc. Attempting to use it was one of the more memorable time-wasting, doesn't-work-as-described wild goose chases I've had with L7. Days... days of wasted time and effort, hence the moniker "project mangler".

So there it is. Not so mind boggling at all. Just a different experience from yours.

wow, days of problems with he project manager? I have never had an issue with it

all it does is put all your files that you used in logic in nice neat folders, how could someone possibly waste days and days on it?

Its so easy, and idiot could do it

Printing to audio tracks/record a bus on an audio track

:shock: :shock:

dude..haven't you been reading my posts for a year?? :)

I think Logic 7 was the ONLY major DAW that DID NOT allow you to route a bunch of tracks to a bus and record the output of that bus as an input to an audio track..certainly a feature I used in PTools all time, and I make judicious use of it in Logic 8.

nice reading all the other thing's ya'll have found tho.

wow, days of problems with he project manager? I have never had an issue with it

I'm happy for you, really.

all it does is put all your files that you used in logic in nice neat folders, how could someone possibly waste days and days on it?

No, that's not what it does at all... We're talking about the Project Manager, right? The thing that supposedly:

a) resolves missing files from EXS instruments?

b) same as above but can't find EXS instruments inside alias folders (per the manual stating that the Sampler Instrument folder can be "made aware" of instruments that don't reside directly in that folder with the use of aliases?)

c) makes a database that includes audio and movie files associated with songs so that if a file goes missing the PM knows where they live? (and which doesn't work 100%)

d) the utility which, per the Logic manual, is recommended for doing all Logic-related file deletions? (which is a navigation nightmare)

e) the utility which can't always allocate enough memory (or possibly disk space) in which to catalog all of your Logic-related system and song data, resulting in hung "updating tree" progress bars and various "PM corruption" warnings?

Guess I'm just an idiot then.

Guess I'm just an idiot then.

Project management enhancements. The Project Manager now lets you organize and archive all project-dependent audio files into a single project folder/location. This includes any impulse responses, EXS24 samples, and QuickTime videos referenced in the session. Forget about tedious, time-consuming backup sessions, or hunting down random audio loops and files. Project Manager makes it painless and effortless.

yep

"42. New Track with complete duplicate settings."

So simple but one of my favorite.

"25. new checkbox "select regions when selecting track".. or not"

This one I have missed. Interesting.... If I disable it is there any alt key or KC that will select everything in the track ?

thx for posting.