L7 / Tiger / Audio Midi setup utility

C_MAJOR

Greetings; first post here. :shock:

So I just got a new M-Audio firewire 410 all up and running under Tiger using driver version 1.4.3 (latest one I think)

Midi and audio are both working great with Logic 7.0.1

My only question is about the Audio Midi setup utility. It only displays my A-90ex keyboard controller (shown all by itself, not connected to anything).

Shouldn’t the 410 show up in this window after a scan and be seen as connected to the A-90’s midi ports? The 410 is physically connected to the A-90 and I can record and playback midi just fine with Logic (had to run the Logic setup assistant before I got any midi communication though).

Not a big deal since it all works - but I just do not understand why it does not show up in the graphical display. I hit rescan and nothing... I’m thinking that maybe it’s because the 410’s driver has it’s own configuration control panel, but that’s just a guess. If I create a new device in the AM utility, M-Audio is not listed in the manufacturer drop-down menu at all. It is however seen and available for all system-wide audio i/o options. Strange...

Any clues?

Thanks,

dk

BTW, hi Kickin! It’s me, dkrausz from the old DUC days. Not sure if you’d remember me but congrats on the forum! I’m sure I’ll be lurking around here often... :)

Hey man, thanks for stopping around! I'm Kickin' Da Speaker! Funny how we all get together again :D

Shouldn’t the 410 show up in this window after a scan and be seen as connected to the A-90’s midi ports?

No, OS X doesn't see connections further than what's connected directly to your computer (not via MIDI). You'll have to manually cable your synth to the 410 (which should show up if you've installed the drivers?) so that your synth's name appear in Logic instead of just port #s.

BTW, afaik this is the only use for AudioMidi Setup, to have names instead of port # appear in Logic. But you could connect NOTHING in the AudioMidi Setup and things would work just as well.

No, OS X doesn't see connections further than what's connected directly to your computer (not via MIDI). You'll have to manually cable your synth to the 410 (which should show up if you've installed the drivers?) so that your synth's name appear in Logic instead of just port #s.

Thanks,

Not sure if you read my whole post...

I mention that the drivers are installed, the 410 is connected to the computer’s firewire port and that the A90 is connected to the 410 via midi i/o. I’m only using the A90 as a controller, not as a sound module.

Unless I’m not getting what you’re saying, Audio Midi should see the 410 as a Midi interface, the hardware is all connected to each other and I have the drivers installed (latest ones).

Again, this is not a big deal since everything is working fine...

dk

I did read the whole post :wink:

Latest M•Audio drivers for your interface are 1.4.4: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers

However, they are not compatible with Tiger (or at least haven't been tested) ... that might be the problem!

One question: did the A90 show up automatically in AudioMidi Setup?

Anyway, have you tried to cable them manually?

And once again, you really don't need them to be configured in AMS at all to work with Logic. I wouldn't worry too much about it!